Sick of throwing away stale bread? This is for you.
If you usually end up feeding stale bread to the ducks or - heaven forfend - actually binning it, then these great ideas from Mumsnetters should prove inspirational (as well as money-saving).
If the stale bread is the crusty variety, you can make a salad with the hardened bread, chopped tomatoes, green and red peppers and a dressing made with ground black pepper, lemon, salt and olive oil.
Great for fish or chicken - and you get to incorporate all sorts of interesting flavours (herbs, chopped seeds or nuts, garlic, lemon zest)
Fry some bacon. Remove bacon leaving the fat. Crush garlic into the pan, add a bit more butter, and sauté the crumbs till golden. Toss cooked pasta in the pan and add some fresh flat leaf parsley. Alternatively you could always use anchovies other than bacon.
Beat a couple of eggs with salt and pepper, or cinnamon and sugar, dip in the stale crusts and fry until golden.
Chop up the stale bread into cubes and fry in oil to use as croutons in soup and salads
First, make your breadcrumbs. Tear the old bread up, and put it in the oven after you have used it. Let the bread crisp up, then used a food mixer to make the crumbs. You can freeze it in bags at this point.
- Breadcrumb and parsley omelette
- Real chicken nuggets
- Cheesy leek and mushroom bake
- Beany crumble
- Bread sauce
- Fruit crumble
Recipes for using up stale bread
- Parmesan and garlic croutons
- Apple Charlotte
- Marmalade spicy bread and butter pudding
- Queen of puddings
- Chocolate bread and butter pudding
Even more recipes
If you're still looking for inspiration for things to do with old bread, Mumsnetters also recommend these recipes elsewhere on t'internet
- Nigella's Mozzarella in carozza
- Mary Berry's treacle tart
- Savoury bread and butter pudding
- Dan Lepard's Sopa de Ajo (bread and garlic soup)
Bread recipes in Top Bananas! The Mumsnet cookbook
- p271 Bread and butter pudding
- p34 Eggy doorstops
- p221 Chicken dippers
- p218 Burger me!
- p49 Great balls of broccoli
- p121 Bean burgers
- Get more tips on the original Talk thread
- 9 foods you'll never waste again
- Leftover recipes
- Family food and recipes
- Join Mumsnet
Last updated: 21 days ago