Black bean burgers - with all the trimmings | Mary McCartney
Share this on Facebook
- 400g tin of black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons of light olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 140g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Half a teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes (or Marmite!)
- Black pepper to taste
- Extra oil for frying, if necessary
STEP ONE - FRY
Heat your oil in the frying pan, then add chopped onion and allow to cook for two minutes. Add in your mushrooms, soy sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes until all the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated. Follow this with your garlic, chopped spring onion, herbs, and black beans (slightly mashed up) - and allow to heat through for a couple minutes.
STEP TWO - MIX
Transfer the mixture into a bowl to cool, then add four tablespoons of flour, a teaspoon of marmite, and a pinch of black pepper to taste.
STEP THREE - SHAPE
Shape the mixture into 4-6 burgers, depending on how big you'd like them.
STEP FOUR - COOK
If you're doing these on the BBQ, you'll need to firm them up in the fridge (or even freezer!) for up to an hour beforehand, so they don't fall through the grill! But if you're eating indoors, just pop them into a hot frying pan and cook on both sides for a couple of minutes, until they're browned and heated through.
If you liked this, you'll love...
Last updated: 22 days ago