How to make a pirate ship bonnet
Bring some nautical charm to Easter with this maritime bonnet. The boat is from Hobbycraft's vast range of ready-made papier maché shapes, so if the high seas aren't your thing, you can always create your own bonnet with another model of your choice.
You will need
- Blue cowboy hat
- One sheet of sea blue A4 card
- One sheet of light blue A4 card
- Papier maché sailing boat
- Pirate treasure coins
- Acrylic paints
- Mini bunting
- Glue Gun
How to make
- Decorate your boat using the acrylic paint - be as creative as you (or your DCs) wish! Leave to dry while you make the other components.
- Take the sea blue piece of card and fold in half down the longest edge. Cut down the fold, then cut wave shapes into one long edge on each piece of card.
- Repeat step 2 with the lighter blue piece of card. Cut the waves deeper on this one so the darker blue card can still be seen when placed behind it.
- Attach the darker blue waves to the hat by bending each strip around the hat and stapling the edges together. Repeat with the lighter blue waves.
- Once the boat is dry, cut away the wooden sticks at the base as close as you can to the bottom of the boat.
- Using a glue gun, run a line of glue along the bottom of the boat and attach to the hat facing forwards. Hold in place for a few seconds whilst the glue cools.
- Finish by decorating the rim of the hat with the pirate treasure coins. You can also use these to cover up any staples. Any remaining treasure can be attached under the boat.
- Decorate the boat with mini bunting.
Last updated: over 1 year ago