How to make an Easter bunny cake
Follow this simple guide to transform you favourite sponge into an Easter treat that's almost too cute to eat! This bunny cake would make a great gift - if you can bear to part with it.
You will need
- Six inch round cake
- 450 grams of buttercream
- Renshaw icing in white, pink and black
- Gum Tragacanth
- Grass piping nozzle
Allow four hours to make and decorate the cake, and practice your steady hand for the decorating.
How to make
- The rabbit's ears will need to be made a day or two in advance to give them time to harden. Take two golf ball-sized pieces of icing and knead a pinch of gum tragacanth into each.
- Shape each ball into a pointy rabbit ear approximately four inches long, and use your thumb to make a hollow within each. Insert a cocktail stick into the base of each ear.
- Make a smaller ear shape from the pink icing and press onto the white ear, using your thumb to shape and a bit of water to stick if necessary.
- Shape a pea-sized amount of pink icing into a triangular nose and cut out two one-inch circles of white icing for the cheeks. If you have a small round cutter, use this.
- Leave all the icing elements to dry and harden.
- To decorate the cake, first cover it all over with a three millimetre thick layer of buttercream.
- Fill a piping bag with buttercream and attach the grass piping nozzle. You need stiff buttercream to ensure it stands in peaks - mix in more icing sugar if it's too soft.
- Start at the base of the cake. Holding the nozzle at a 90 degree angle to the cake, apply firm pressure to squeeze out the buttercream then pull away sharply to leave blobs of 'fur'. Continue all around the base of the cake, and then work your way up a row at a time.
- Stick the ears into the top of the cake and add the nose and cheeks. Add a little fresh buttercream to the back of the nose and cheeks to stick if necessary.
- Roll six pea-sized balls of black icing. Keep two for the eyes and roll the other four into long whiskers and attach to the cheeks.
Last updated: about 3 years ago