Baby names inspired by spring
If you're expecting a baby in the coming months, you might be considering a spring baby name. We've pulled together ideas inspired by everything from blooming buds to blue skies, because there's more to this season than the floral names which first spring to mind.
Settling on a name for your new arrival can involve lists upon lists of maybes, and many hours of negotiations – but the perfect name could be right in front of you. Whether you want to stick to something more traditional or branch out a bit, this season presents plenty of options which feel lively and celebratory.
Conventional spring names
- April – it might be an obvious choice for an April baby, but why not keep things simple?
- Dawn – a lovely option for a baby born in the season of new beginnings
- Florence – comes from the Latin florens, and the verb means to flower or blossom
- May – not just the name of a month, this is also a traditional pet name for Mary or Margaret
Girls' names inspired by spring flowers
No list of spring baby names would be complete without a selection of floral monikers. These are perennial choices and often feature high on the lists of popular baby names. While names such as Jasmine, Poppy and Flora are current favourites, others such as Iris and Violet could be set to make a comeback.
- Azalea – a flowering shrub that blooms in spring
- Blossom – there aren't many words that evoke the season of renewal as strongly as this
- Bluebell – er, you could always shorten it to Bell?
- Camellia – another flowering shrub that explodes in different shades of pink
- Dahlia – native to Mexico, this one is climbing up the popular baby names charts
Unusual names with a spring twist
There is of course more to spring than its flowers. If you'd like something which stands out from the crowd, there are a few unusual offerings out there.
- Apple – if it's good enough for Gwyneth, it's good enough for the rest of us
- Aya – means Japanese for colourful, and Hebrew for bird
- Jade – it's an unwritten rule that green is the colour of spring
- Paloma – means dove of peace, a perfect fit for the season of the birds and the bees
Boys names inspired by spring
Spring also lends itself to a plethora of natural names used more traditionally for boys. Colours feature strongly, and many of these are certainly having their moment.
- Ash – more than just a tree, in Hebrew this means 'happy'
- Atherton – of Old English origin, it means “town by the spring”
- Attwell – also of Old English origin, it means ''lives by the spring''
- Aviv – means both spring and young in Hebrew
And if you're still looking for more baby name inspiration, head to our Baby Names forum to see what Mumsnetters are currently saying.