9 reasons naming a baby is harder than you thought
Trying to decide on a suitable name for your heir? Bear these Mumsnetters' tips in mind.
Share this page on Facebook - one day, a child who wasn't called Moon Unit after all will thank you.
1. 'Unique' names are actually quite hard to come by
Image credit: Disney Pixar via Zip Meme and ImgFlip
"A friend chose 'Woody', thinking that would be unusual. He is one of three Woodys in his class."
2. If you do hit on a unique name, run it past someone who's not pregnant
Image credit: carpinner
"I met six week old twin girls at soft-play once called Dolce and Gabbana."
3. Will it work on the monogrammed napkins?
Image credit: Quick Meme
"Alex Samuel Benjamin Olivers sounds lovely, but spells out ASBO."
4. Lovely first name + your surname can = disaster
Image credit: FOX via Widen
"We seriously tried to convince my friend to call her son Max. His surname is Power."
5. Save your <cough> creative names for the middle
Image credit: cdn.playbuzz.com
"A friend is considering calling her son John Danger Smith, so that he can utter the immortal words 'Danger is my middle name'."
6. Say it aloud. Then say it aloud again.
Image credit: Warner Bros via Company
"I wanted Phoebe, but it's not good with our monosyllabic surname that starts with a 'Bee' sound. Poor child would have ended up with a stutter."
7. Will they have to spell it out - Every. Single. Time?
Image credit: DailyEdge
"My favourites are Aofie, Saoirse, Caoimhe and Aoibheann, but no-one is able to pronounce/spell them!"
8. 'Unusual' spelling? Think once, think twice, think 'Actually, no'.
Image credit: imgur
"I have met a Danyal, Daniol, Naiphthan, Caytie and an Alivia. Why do people consign their children to a life time of 'No, that's Daniel spelt...'?"
9. If, after all this you still love it, then to hell with other people...
Image credit: Imgur
"My friend has just had a daughter. She has chosen Alice Elizabeth, (IMO) a timeless classic name. Her mother's comment: 'Oh. Playing it safe are you? Well I suppose someone has to use the boring names so the braver people can use the nicer ones.'"
Like this? You'll probably like...
Last updated: almost 2 years ago