Lentil and Vegetable Purée
Lentils are a good, cheap source of protein which also provide iron - which is very important for brain development, particularly between the ages of six months and two years
A vegetarian baby's first taste of food is the same as for other babies (for
example baby rice, fruit and vegetable purées) but from
around seven months, when proteins are being introduced, instead of meat you
can give foods like lentils, eggs or dairy products.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 50 g/ 2 oz chopped onion or leek
- 100 g/ 4 oz carrots, peeled and chopped
- 15 g/ ½ oz celery, chopped
- 50 g/ 2 oz split red lentils
- 250 g/ 8 oz sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 200 ml/ 7 fl oz passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 50 g/ 2 oz grated mature Cheddar cheese
1. Heat the vegetable oil and sauté the onion, carrots and celery for 5 minutes.
2. Rinse the lentils and add to the pan.
3. Add the sweet potato and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Pour in the passata and 1 tablespoon of water.
5. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Purée in a blender.
Find more recipes on Annabel's website.
Liked this? Try these:
Last updated: about 2 months ago