Weaning recipe: Lentil and vegetable purée
Lentils are a great, cheap source of protein and a good meat substitute for a vegetarian baby from around seven months. They also provide iron, which is important for your child's brain development, particularly between the age of six months and two years.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 50 g/ 2 oz chopped onion or leek
- 100 g/ 4 oz carrots, peeled and chopped
- 15 g/ ½ oz celery, chopped
- 50 g/ 2 oz split red lentils
- 250 g/ 8 oz sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 200 ml/ 7 fl oz passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 50 g/ 2 oz grated mature Cheddar cheese
- Heat the vegetable oil and sauté the onion, carrots and celery for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils and add to the pan.
- Add the sweet potato and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour in the passata and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Cover and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Purée in a blender.
Liked this? Try Annabel Karmel's date bites recipe – a great snack for on-the-go