Weaning recipe: Butternut squash, pea, broccoli and kale purée
There are so many health benefits to eating kale – it's high in iron and calcium, and rich in vitamins – so it's well worth adding to your baby's weaning menu. This purée, which combines the green veg with sweet butternut squash, is a tasty introduction.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 200 g/7 oz peeled butternut squash, diced
- 350 ml/12 fl oz unsalted or weak vegetable stock
- 100 g/4 oz broccoli florets
- 40 g/1 ½ oz trimmed kale leaves, washed
- 50 g/2 oz frozen peas
- 20 g grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and squash and sautée for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, kale and peas and simmer for a further 10 minutes until tender.
- Purée in a blender until smooth.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
Liked this? Try Annabel Karmel's lentil and vegetable purée recipe