Krispie homemade chicken nuggets recipe
Rice Krispies at the ready! Try this healthy homemade version of a kids' finger food favourite. It will be hard to go back to ready-made chicken nuggets after you've tasted this recipe by Annabel Karmel, and it's perfect for baby led weaning. Children will love the secret snap, crackle and pop ingredient.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 45g / 1.5oz Rice Krispies
- 1 tablespoon grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 200g / 7oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts – cut into 1.5cm / half-inch cubes or strips
- Dips, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Place half the oil in the bowl of a food processor with the Rice Krispies and grated cheeses and blitz to evenly combine (you may need to stop and scrape the mixture down from the sides of the bowl a couple of times).
- Transfer the mixture into a wide, shallow bowl or a large plate.
- Grease a baking sheet with the remaining oil.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl with the milk. Mix the flour with a little salt and pepper (if using) on a separate plate.
- Toss the chicken cubes in the flour, dip them in the egg, then coat them in the Krispie coating.
- Lay the coated chicken pieces on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through and crispy, turning them over halfway.
- Serve immediately, with your favourite dips (mayonnaise, ketchup) if you wish.
Liked this? Try Annabel Karmel's mini burgers recipe