Weaning recipe: Bolognese sauce with hidden vegetables and pasta shells
A tasty tomato-based pasta sauce with five vegetables blended in – perfect for introducing texture to your baby's diet when weaning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150 ml/5 fl oz unsalted or weak beef or chicken stock
- 250 g/9 oz lean minced beef
- 2 × 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 × 250 g packet mini pasta shells
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion for 3 minutes.
- Add the leek, mushrooms, carrot and celery and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add half of the stock and simmer for 10 minutes, then put in a food processor and blitz.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the minced beef for 5 minutes, breaking up well with a fork or wooden spoon.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, sun-dried tomato paste and the remaining stock, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the blended vegetables and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta and toss together with the sauce.
Liked this? Try Annabel Karmel's mini burgers recipe