Carrot, coconut and date energy balls recipe
For a quick, sweet treat try Annabel Karmel’s delicious coconut and date bites. The perfect healthy snack for little ones, these tasty treats contain no refined sugar with natural sweetness which comes from the dates, carrots and raisins. A great thing to have to hand when you're out and about with children.
- 75g / 3 oz pitted dates
- 100ml / 4 fluid oz boiling water
- 50g / 2 oz pecans
- 50g / 2 oz desiccated coconut
- 100g / 4 oz carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 30g / 1 oz raisins
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 50g / 2 oz porridge oats
- Put the dates in a saucepan with the boiling water. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Put the pecans in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped, then set aside.
- Put the soaked dates and 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid in the processor. Blitz until smooth, then add the remaining ingredients, including the chopped pecans.
- Blitz again briefly, until the mixture has come together but is still coarse.
- Shape the mixture into 20 balls, place the balls on a plate and chill them in the fridge for at least 1 hour before eating.
Liked this? Try Annabel Karmel's mango, peach and banana purée