In association with
How tutoring can help to make up for lost learning
According to researchers at the London School of Economics and the University of Exeter, the average school pupil is believed to have lost up to a third of learning time during Covid-19, with school attainment falling in all subjects – especially in Maths and English.
This has led more parents to seek support from private tutors to help bridge the gap. In a recent survey of 1,500 respondents, Cognita Tutoring found that 80% of parents said that the pandemic had increased their requirements for tutoring, with 76% preferring sessions to be delivered by qualified teachers.
Currently unregulated, the UK tutoring industry can at times appear to be a minefield but there is no doubt that tutoring can make a big difference to a child’s academic progress. According to a recent research report from The Education Endowment Foundation (EEF), evidence indicates that short regular tutoring sessions over a set period of time can be highly effective alongside the normal school day, with one-to-one tuition delivering approximately five additional months progress and small groups advancing students by a further four months.
About Cognita Tutoring
This summer saw the launch of Cognita Tutoring, a unique service designed to set a new gold standard in online tuition. Cognita Tutoring brings together qualified teachers with years of teaching and curriculum experience with an award-winning intelligent learning platform, CENTURY, to deliver truly inspiring online lessons.
With a firm focus on working in partnership with parents, tutors keep parents informed every step of the way with regular feedback and online parents’ evenings. CENTURY’s easy-to-use Artificial Intelligence platform bolsters the process by supporting further learning between sessions and providing an insight into the child’s progress.
Core subjects are English, Maths (Years 4, 5, 6 and 9) and Science (Year 9) with plans for more subjects and year groups to be added soon.
At a time when fostering children’s development in academic, social and emotional terms is at the forefront of every parent’s mind, Cognita Tutoring’s innovative new service strives to lead the development of a new style and nature of tutoring.
What you will win
One lucky winner will receive:
- Six one-to-one online tutoring sessions* plus a £100 Amazon voucher
Three runners-up will each receive:
- Three one-to-one online tutoring sessions* plus a £50 Amazon voucher
*Please note, the first booked session is always free. Sessions can be selected for any year group and subject within Cognita Tutoring’s core offer (see above). Please see below for the full prize T&CS.
How to enter
Mumsnet T&Cs apply, along with the additional T&Cs below. The competition is open to UK residents only. Competition closes 11:59pm 17 September 2021.
- There is one main prize of six one-to-one tutoring sessions worth £350 (first booked session is always free), plus a £100 Amazon voucher, to be won. This will be awarded to the entrant chosen at random from all those who have selected the correct answer to the competition question.
- There are three runner-up prizes of three one-to-one sessions worth £140 (first booked session is always free), plus a £50 Amazon voucher for each runner-up chosen at random from all those who have also selected the correct answer.
- The tutoring sessions must be redeemed within six months from the date that the winners are notified. Sessions are available for the following core subjects and year groups; English, Maths for Years 4, 5, 6 and 9. Plus Science for Year 9. After this period, they will expire and will no longer be valid.
- The free tutoring sessions are redeemed using a promo code which will be provided as part of the winning notification email.
- To create an account you must be: (a) 18 years old or over; and (b) a parent of, or person with parental responsibility for, the pupil.
- The promo code can be redeemed at any time of the year providing it meets the selected tutor’s availability as outlined on Cognita Tutoring’s website, and providing the sessions are booked (they do not need to be scheduled) before the expiry date as noted above.
- The code cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- The prize is for one-to-one online tutoring sessions only. Any laptop or computer equipment required in order to join the online sessions will need to be provided separately by the prize winners.
- The promo code is limited to one use per registered account and is valid for one child.
- Any additional expenses in the general use of and enjoyment of the prize that the winners may incur are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- If you need to cancel a scheduled one-to-one session then you are entitled to reschedule for another time at no additional cost, provided you have given Cognita Tutoring at least 48 hours’ notice in advance of the session.
- Tutoring sessions are subject to availability.
- Cognita Tutoring will be in touch with prize winners directly to organise receipt of the Amazon vouchers.
- You must be at least 18 years old to redeem the vouchers.