We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Any identifying information we ask you to provide will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Mumsnet may change this policy from time to time by updating this page, so please check it regularly to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from May 28th 2012.
What we collect
If you choose to register with Mumsnet, we may collect the following information:
- your email address
- your chosen Talk name and password
- demographic information, such as your postcode and IP address, and (should you choose to tell us) your date of birth, whether you are pregnant (and, if you are, when your due date is) and/or whether you have children and how many.
What we do with the information we gather
We do not pass on your information to third parties unless you specifically consent to us doing so, or we are specifically required to by law.
However, on rare occasions where there appears to be a clear need to safeguard the welfare of a Mumsnetter and/or her/his family, it may be necessary to contact relevant authorities about a clearly identifiable member and her/his posts on Mumsnet.
Except in those circumstances, we only use the information you provide to us understand your needs and improve the service we offer you. If you choose to register with Mumsnet we will use your data to
- keep internal records and improve our services.
- email you with responses to discussion-board posts you have reported.
- periodically send you emails about parenting news, Mumsnet news and courses, competitions, discounts or other information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address which you have provided.
- send you pregnancy-stage emails or child development emails, should you choose to receive them.
- contact you, but only with your prior permission, by email or personal message, for market-research purposes.
- offer you, on our website pages, information based on your location.
Any personal data that you give us will be retained by us for as long as it's needed to perform its function. There's no one-size-fits-all time limit, but to give some examples: data provided by members of our Insight panel for that specific purpose is retained for as long as the user remains a member of the panel. Information provided in respect of competitions is held for three months. We regularly review the data held by different teams and delete information that is no longer needed. All data we hold is stored securely and only accessible by authorised members of MNHQ.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place appropraite physical and electronic procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Passive Information Collection
As you navigate through the app, certain anonymous information can be passively collected (that is, gathered without your actively providing the information) using various technologies, such as server logs and analytics software. This helps us analyse data about our site traffic, so we can improve Mumsnet and tailor it to our members' needs. All information is anonymous and only used for operational purposes.
Links to other websites
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to change or restrict the use of your personal information by going to your My Mumsnet area and altering your registration details and/or subscribing/unsubscribing to our email options.
You may ask us to provide details of the personal information we hold about you, under the General Data Protection Regulation 2016. To request this information, please mail us at contactus@or write to Mumsnet Limited, Unit 6, Deane House Studios, 27 Greenwood Place, Highgate Rd, London NW5 1LB.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will happily correct any information found to be incorrect.
Last updated: 8 months ago