Help for a beginner please

(6 Posts)
Daisypod Mon 22-Feb-21 14:53:59

I have done a few yoga classes in the past but it has been sporadic and I can't remember if I had this situation before.
I have been following a beginner you tube video which I really like but when I do child's posse I cannot get my bum to touch my feet at all, to do this I have to sit back up. Is this wrong or something that will happen with time?
I am rather fat with a big belly and wondering if that could be a reason also.

OP’s posts: |
doadeer Mon 22-Feb-21 19:49:33

Could be tight hip flexors, tight ankle joints. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you, all our bodies are different! Add a cushion over your feet so you have some contact with your bum.

Alternatively if it's not comfortable at all, just either lie on your back or sit. It's about the intention of the pose, if it's to relax then find a position you are relaxed in!

ZaraW Wed 24-Feb-21 07:55:03

A rolled up blanket may help?

Daisypod Wed 24-Feb-21 10:22:27

Thank you both, I just didn't want to be doing it wrong and something that could damage me. I think after doing it for a week daily I am already getting my bum closer to my ankles so that's good.

OP’s posts: |
doadeer Wed 24-Feb-21 11:43:30

I really wouldn't fixate on where you should be... There are anatomical variations that might mean you never connect heels to bum and that's OK!

To have your heels on the floor in downdog requires 50% extra ankle mobility than most people have. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Many, many yoga poses call for joint mobility outside of normal range.

EmpressWitchDoesntBurn Thu 25-Feb-21 21:59:23

When I started a couple of years ago, my knees were roughly level with my breasts when sitting cross-legged. Didn’t matter.

You keep going, & you don’t always feel as if you’re making progress, but then sometimes you realise you can do something you couldn’t do last time you tried grin and everyone is only competing with themselves.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in