Help out a Yoga Virgin?

(21 Posts)
TheLittleRedToothbrush Sun 02-Aug-20 21:19:35

Anyone care to recommend a simple yoga class on line ... maybe YouTube?
I've been on lockdown since the end of March and floating around in summer dresses , baking and doing ... well nothing really has affected my weight and self confidence.
I've managed to put on a stone which hopefully once back at work will drop off .
So the yoga isn't to necessarily lose weight but to basically move my ass ( larger now ) and time up ... I've not even bent over to tie my laces so it had to be a simple one please grin

OP’s posts: |
TheLittleRedToothbrush Sun 02-Aug-20 21:20:23

Tone not time 🤦‍♀️

whiskyremorse Sun 02-Aug-20 21:27:16

Sometimes the most obvious answers are the best. Follow one of Adrienne's 30 day yoga series, free on YouTube. Skip anything you can't do or just sit and watch and join back in when you can. She is a lovely teacher and a good place to start.

TheLittleRedToothbrush Sun 02-Aug-20 21:29:41

@whiskyremorse oh that's so kind of you to reply.. I will try that in the morning smile

speakout Mon 03-Aug-20 07:10:59

I would also second Adriene- she also has some videos specifically for beginners.
Start with a few short sessions, do what you can, stop if you need to.

Good luck

Love2cycle Mon 03-Aug-20 07:18:48

Yes adrienne here to, anything with cosy or gentle on the title is a nice way to start. That way you get to totally relax but also feel like you've done some exercise.
I also like 5 parks, but prefer the gentle routines which you can just search for.

eurochick Mon 03-Aug-20 07:46:53

I also like Adriene. She has a number of thirty day programmes to follow if you want a taster menu of her sessions, or you can just pick one.

TheLittleRedToothbrush Mon 03-Aug-20 11:17:26

Thank you all so much , I went with Adrianne and her 30 day program. Blimey day one has killed me ! But I shall persevere.
Do you think I need a mat ?

UnaOfStormhold Mon 03-Aug-20 11:21:39

A mat will probably help - wood floors are hard and carpets can be slippery, neither of which is ideal.

AuntieStella Mon 03-Aug-20 11:21:47

Do you think I need a mat ?

You will. At home on a carpet it's not going to be something you need straight away. But handy to have, especially for when you're good at it and go to RL classes. Perhaps stick it on the Christmas hints list?

TheLittleRedToothbrush Mon 03-Aug-20 11:42:39

Yes the carpet was a bit rough . I don't think I'll ever go to a class .
I don't have anyone else in my life so I'll add the mat to my own wish list 😀

TheLittleRedToothbrush Mon 03-Aug-20 11:43:34

Although I have to say I throughly enjoyed it!

KittyMcKitty Mon 03-Aug-20 11:45:35

Yoga with Adriene is fab. If you’re completely new to Yoga it may be worth doing some live streamed classes (all yoga studios / teachers are doing them) so you get feedback on alignment etc.

TheLittleRedToothbrush Mon 03-Aug-20 11:49:23

@KittyMcKitty OMG no one is seeing me trying this ... yet lol

Stuffofawesome Mon 03-Aug-20 11:55:41

Absolutely go with Adrienne. Look at her foundations of yoga videos too which focus on the common poses one at a time. When you understand them it's then easier to go with the flow

TheLittleRedToothbrush Mon 03-Aug-20 12:25:37

Thank you @Stuffofawesome I'll have a look ... so wish I'd thought of this 4 months ago !

whiskyremorse Thu 06-Aug-20 07:42:51

How are you getting on? Have you invested in a mat?

TheLittleRedToothbrush Thu 06-Aug-20 08:42:48

@whiskyremorse really kind of you to ask . I did the first Addrianne of 30 days on YouTube and really enjoyed it. But I don't have WiFi so it ate up half of my data . I'm trying to find her dvd but no luck yet. Does she have one ? I've ordered a mat and am just replaying the first lesson in my mind and doing stretches etc . I think it's something I'm going to really get into. smile

whiskyremorse Fri 07-Aug-20 07:05:04

It might be fairly cheap for you to buy more data for your phone, or do you have a smart TV? Mine has You Tube on it. Or buy a Now TV stick which makes your TV smart. If that's not an option perhaps you need a dvd to follow.

UnaOfStormhold Fri 07-Aug-20 07:41:57

You can download the 30 day programmes for a pay what you can donation - if you could go somewhere with public WiFi you could download them.

endgame67 Mon 10-Aug-20 10:56:18

Yoga with Adriene is also in Amazon prime if you have that?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in