Talk

Advanced search

Yoga mat, sore knees

(3 Posts)
Redpriestandmozart Sat 10-Aug-19 19:45:17

I started to do yoga at home about a year ago and bought a couple of these cheap mats. Until recently I used the mats on the carpet and had no issues, but since I've moved to a different room with wooden floors my knees are really suffering.

Can anyone recommend a better, thicker mat without a textured surface? The more I look the more confused I get as I don't want to spend a fortune and have the same issue.

Spudlet Sat 10-Aug-19 19:51:56

I use a relatively cheap under mat, which is a waffle type one, and then a Lululemon travel mat on top for grip, which I got on eBay. I also have a yoga mat bag that I knitted myself which doubles up as extra padding for my knees, ankles, heels, or wherever else feels the floor a bit much.

If you’re otherwise happy with your mat, have you tried using a hand towel folded up as padding when you need to? I find too squishy a mat as annoying as a thin one, tbh.

Redpriestandmozart Sun 11-Aug-19 19:17:08

Thanks, @Spudlet I followed your example and used both yoga mats (why didn't I think of that!!) and my knees were fine this morning. I might invest in a smooth mat for the top as both mine are dimpled.

I did notice the under mat slipped a little this morning but otherwise it was fine smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »