Talk

Advanced search

Which type of yoga is a good place to start?

(15 Posts)
mashpotato10 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:48:26

I've recently started yoga and wish to pursue it as my main form of exercise as I actually really enjoy what I can do if it. I am able to dedicate about 30 mins a day. I've noticed there are so many types. What is a good place to start? I tried a few you tube vids but I'm just too inflexible for tricky moves and have trouble keeping up with the pace. I know there's vinyasa and Ashtanga and restorative and others. Not sure where Ia best to start from?

mizu Mon 01-Jul-19 19:57:54

Adrienne is brilliant. Just YouTube Adrienne 30 day yoga.

Doryhunky Mon 01-Jul-19 20:03:34

Adriene

mashpotato10 Mon 01-Jul-19 20:06:16

Thanks!

AFistfulofDolores1 Mon 01-Jul-19 20:07:54

I've also heard Adrienne is great.

Style-wise, a good beginner's yoga (not to be confused with lightweight) is Hatha.

Nectarines Mon 01-Jul-19 20:10:31

Adriene 100%. She’s fab.
There are a few thirty day challenges and she releases a monthly calendar of videos to try.

forkfun Mon 01-Jul-19 20:10:38

I think iyengar is great, as it encourages the use of props and getting your alignment right. Beginners can easily injure themselves doing ashtanga or flow.

Synecdoche Mon 01-Jul-19 20:10:53

Thirds Yoga with Adrienne.

I started with Hatha and now really enjoy Yin - Yoga with Kassandra is a good YouTube teacher for yin.

BuffaloCauliflower Mon 01-Jul-19 20:13:58

A vinyasa just means a movement/sequence ‘with breath’ so to a rhythm, it’s not a specific type of yoga its something done in any movement style of yoga, picture a sun salutation sequence. The name ‘vinyasa flow’ is often used for classes where you’re including vinyasas throughout the class and are often good classes to appeal to a range of ability levels.

Ashtanga is a very specific sequence, practiced over and over until years to try and make it perfect. There’s several sequences but you could realistically be doing 1 for years (my old Ashtanga teacher had been practicing for 9 years and was still on the first sequence, I think there’s 7 or 8 in total but only like 5 people in the world have made it to the end or something mad!) The entire sequence 1 takes 1.5-2hrs depending how fast you go, but you don’t have to do it all every time. Perks of Ashtanga are you can go to a class anywhere in the world and they’ll be practicing the same thing. It’s also easy to learn the sequence and then just move rhythmically through it. I found that more relaxing as I didn’t have to think about what was next, and with disciplined practice you can really feel yourself improving.

Restorative, also known as Yin, is very slow moving. It’s about relaxation and stretching and it’s great for you but less like ‘exercise’. Generally you get into positions and stay there for many minutes. Good to incorporate some restorative yoga into your practice but doesn’t need to be all you do

TooMinty Mon 01-Jul-19 20:18:58

Don't worry about being inflexible - the more you practice the stretchier you'll get. There should be "easier" versions of all the positions. I like Ashtanga but I go to a class rather than do it myself. I have improved loads, have mastered some tricky positions that I was nowhere near when I started.

AnnaNimmity Mon 01-Jul-19 20:23:54

I like Vinyasa flow . I used to do ashtanga, but like the variety in vinyasa flow. Yin can also be fun. Hatha is gentle.

If possible, go to a class - imo it helps you focus on the yoga and spend the time just doing that. (For me part of the benefits of yoga is that I'm taking myself away from real life and focusing on me just for an hour).

ON YouTube, I didn't really get on with Adrienne, but like both Tim and Kassandra - Kassandra has lots of shorter sequences that you can fit in as and when. I'm much more disciplined with a class though.

BuffaloCauliflower Mon 01-Jul-19 20:37:25

Should add - there’s several vinyasas in the Ashtanga sequence. They’re very well known sequences that pop up in lots of different classes/practices so they’re handy to learn.

NEtoN10 Mon 01-Jul-19 23:28:25

Yin is complementary to Yang (dynamic styles). Instead of working the muscles it works the connective tissue, fascia- slow, steady pressure rather than intense repetition.

If possible it's really best to go to a class, many studios have beginner classes and courses which teach many of the core postures which you can then work on at home. Unless otherwise stated most yoga classes are flow or Vinyasa with a mix of standing, seated, balance, supine and inversions but they should always offer modifications.

Stick at it and you'll be amazed how your flexibility improves. I always see this quote - "saying you are too inflexible for yoga is like saying you are too dirty for a bath!"

Falangda Thu 04-Jul-19 10:23:32

I like yoga. But I only began to be engaged in it. I didn't think earlier that these exercises help to relax so, help to begin to think correctly and positively. I understood how to manifest what you want, how to stop worrying. I began to practice yoga after course Manifistation magic review, I read this numbervoice.com/manifistation-magic-worth-knowing/ information and wanted to try. In 4 days I began to feel effect and I do not want to stop.

littlepeas Sat 13-Jul-19 22:24:15

I wouldn’t worry too much about the specific style tbh, just try lots of classes and find a teacher you connect with. A good teacher will be able to adapt for all levels of students in their class. Hatha isn’t necessarily gentle, as it just means the physical practice of yoga.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »