Talk

Advanced search

Yoga newbie wants to advance and shape up

(7 Posts)
Elloello Mon 03-Jun-19 13:18:48

Is there a dvd or set of workouts I could follow to start and develop some yoga practice?
I need to strengthen up and am on a weight loss journey, I want to keep the muscles hiding under here in nice shape!
Can yoga be good for helping get in shape whilst managing food intake?
I'd love a big plan for practice, working my way from beginner to some really advanced moves. Is there a book or something I could train with to help me plan the journey and see the road ahead?

ATowelAndAPotato Mon 03-Jun-19 13:23:56

Lots of people recommend Adrienne, she posts loads of yoga videos on YouTube.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to suggest some good ones to get started with!

FinnBalorsAbs Tue 04-Jun-19 19:19:07

It’s a non-traditional form of yoga but DDPYoga has a great app which allows you to run through programmes from pre-beginner (if you have to work from a chair for example), through to advanced. You can track everything on the app, monitor your heart rate and upload photos (for yourself only) showing how your posture and flexibility has changed over the months.

I love it! It’s all the benefits of yoga without the zen like calm though, so it depends if you’re more interested in the stretching / exercise or the tranquility.

Condamine Wed 05-Jun-19 19:40:09

Definitely second Yoga with Adriene. She's so inspiring and she has a beginners video, in fact she has a yoga workout for everything.
A perfect accompaniment with your weight loss journey.

INeedToGetHealthy Wed 03-Jul-19 19:13:06

@FinnBalorsAbs Hello to another DDPY member 🙌🏻💎

WhoAteMyBiscuit Sat 20-Jul-19 21:59:28

A yoga DVD can supplement a home practice, however as a beginner I would recommend joining a regular class. The teacher can help you with alignment and get you doing more poses to get you stronger that you might not necessarily make yourself do when just practicing at home! The right class and teacher can make such a difference, especially if it's something you want to stick with longer term. Good luck!

FinnBalorsAbs Sat 20-Jul-19 22:59:21

@INeedToGetHealthy I didn’t see this until just now! Hello smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »