Talk

Advanced search

Weird yoga question!

(19 Posts)
PurpleHazel Fri 05-Apr-19 19:57:16

I'd never done any yoga; currently massive work stress making me miserable, anxious and waking multiple times each night for last few weeks.
Decided to try 'Yoga with Adriene'. First day was good, relaxing. Second day, I felt wobbly and tingly afterwards, then my worries and stress seemed to release and dissolve away. A week later, still doing Adriene's programme every other day, I feel relaxed and in control.
Is this a thing or am I crazy to think it can have helped so much so quickly? Yoga people, is this possible/usual?? Thanks in advance for any info

AlwaysColdHands Fri 05-Apr-19 20:01:02

Nope, it’s magic! wink
If it makes you feel good & you can stick with it, don’t question it, just enjoy your new discovery!

Tomtontom Fri 05-Apr-19 20:02:27

Yep, perfectly possible. It's not a cure all, but it's done me more good than twenty years of treatment for mental health illness. Adriene is a gem, I do a session every day, even if it's ten minutes.

She has some meditation videos which are excellent too.

ladybee28 Fri 05-Apr-19 20:07:46

Totally possible, and it continues and strengthens with time!

Yogic breathing techniques are designed to turn on your parasympathetic nervous system, or the 'rest and digest' state, which happens naturally when you're feeling safe and happy.

Like most exercise, it reduces cortisol in the body, and helps you release oxytocin and endorphins, which make you feel cuddly and energised, and as a mindful practice it's something of a moving meditation, so it helps you focus and put your brain at ease.

Definitely wonderful, and also not just magic – also science – which means it's not a fluke and if you keep doing it, it'll keep feeling that way! grin

PurpleHazel Fri 05-Apr-19 20:09:23

Thanks so much for your quick replies. I really thought was imagining it, especially after only two sessions as a total beginner and I definitely felt the pressure release. They should be prescribing this at the docs!

Meltedicicle Fri 05-Apr-19 20:14:31

I love Yoga with Adriene! I find it so good for just putting me in a positive frame of mind. I tell all my friends to do itsmile

PurpleHazel Fri 05-Apr-19 20:14:35

Ddefinitely will stick with it as I really like feeling like this and people have commented on the sudden change from miserable to calm, so it is tangible. Thanks for all the comments - Adriene is great and I will continue, just bought a proper mat!

mizu Fri 05-Apr-19 20:18:24

I started doing her yoga sessions in January - once a day for most days for about a month and now every other day. I work full time and am stressed too. It is wonderful. I love her breathing techniques and use them all the time. I am really enjoying it. If there is a particular session of hers that I like, I'll do it again the day after.
A plus is that it's giving my arms some definition grin she is super star

Dora26 Sat 13-Apr-19 01:44:16

Love Adriene but how do you position your ipad/ phone for best use - newbie to home yoga here - want to supplement my weekly class

PurpleHazel Mon 15-Apr-19 22:43:04

I put it at the foot end of the mat against the bed. Works for most of it but need to bring it to the side to do lying on back ones - seems to be fine so far...

RuffleCrow Mon 15-Apr-19 22:49:14

She's a true yoga goddess.

She has a video for pretty much anything that ails you and they're all free!

My back was twinging earlier - did her 'yoga for lower back pain' and wow, just magic. Feels great now!

To be honest I'm surprised Glaxo Smithkline haven't started a massive lawsuit to try and shut her down as she must be putting them out of business wink

PurpleHazel Mon 15-Apr-19 23:30:09

Didn't know there were ones for specific things so thanks! She really has changed my stress management so much for the better. Thanks Adriene, you have a massive karma stockpile! smile

Goposie Mon 15-Apr-19 23:46:54

She is amazing. She sneaks in core work and for the first time in years my stomach is flatter. I do 10 to 20 mins a day five days a week and the change is huge! I love how you can always find a video to match your mood!

Upzadaizy Wed 22-May-19 19:05:36

I think part of the joy of Yoga with Adrienne is just her encouragement to do what feels good. The videos of hers that I’ve done have been very simple but as you say, make you feel good.

I sometimes do a really good yoga class at my gym It’s 90 minutes long, and really well taught, but I never quite get the feel good that I get from Adriene.

Condamine Wed 05-Jun-19 19:36:54

I just want to hop in and echo the previous posters. I've been doing an "Adriene" class every day for the last month and I absolutely love them. I even took my yoga mat on a recent holiday. She is so inspiring and not into the super impressive instamagramable poses that make you feel inadequate.
I have really painful knees and I just work round any tricky bits. I genuinely feel so much calmer, more positive and happier. I really feel I am improving and getting stronger. She's amazing.

chicken2015 Thu 22-Aug-19 21:56:29

Im on day one of yoga with Adrienne and felt ok, im hoping to do this daily

threadneedle Fri 23-Aug-19 10:03:42

I've been doing beginner videos with Adriene every morning this week. I haven't done yoga for years, too much going on. Even after a few days I feel better. I'm doing it to regain flexibility but it's really improving my mood. I'm not naturally a morning person, but I've been getting out of bed early looking forward to my 30 mins with Adriene, She is so lovely, and as others have said, so much more 'real' about poses than others I've come across. This morning I did the 'Morning yoga - yoga to start your day' having done the absolute beginners video for a few days. I loved the stretches in this one, I feel I have a spring in my step now!

I think her lovely personality will really encourage me to keep at it even when I have to factor in the school run in a few weeks. I'll look forward to seeing her after the stress getting everyone out the door!

theorchidwhisperer Fri 23-Aug-19 10:14:31

You have inspired me.

I'm looking on the App Store for yoga with Adrianne. It's saying it's there but I can't see it. Lots and lots of yoga fitness apps but no exact match.

Are you able to tell me how you found it and what it's called? I'm on my iPad.

Thank you I advance!

flipflop67 Fri 23-Aug-19 15:05:24

She's on YouTube 🙏🏻

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »