Talk

Advanced search

Yoga Retreats

(21 Posts)
UtahGirl12 Tue 06-Feb-18 23:30:08

Having a little browse through one of Candace's email's today and saw she has 2 retreats coming up, one in Italy and one in Santorini. The timing is not right for me for either of them, unfortunately, but I was curious to know if anyone had ever been on a yoga retreat and how they found it?

Ofthread Thu 08-Feb-18 14:14:59

Yep, I have been on some. Fabulous, recommended. Some people will only go with a friend, I am not bothered and went on my own, it was fine.

maryrose1983 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:42:11

I have been on a couple,

one with Karen from www.purebodybalance.co.uk/

and the other was through www.adventureyogi.com

both were amazing!

UtahGirl12 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:49:52

Thank you! God to know you've both enjoyed them. Will take a look at some of your links maryrose. I must admit I loved Candace's Namaslay book, and do have a little bit of a girl crush on her.... blush

NewYearNiki Sun 11-Feb-18 23:14:15

I went on 2.

Loved the first and hated the second.

Yoga practice is very personal and everyone likes a different style.

I hated the style of the second retreat teacher. She was also harsh and brash and uncaring personality wise and I didnt like her yoga style.

I would never go on a retreat again unless I knew the teacher.

TheClitterati Tue 13-Feb-18 08:53:25

Yoga Plus in Crete. Went several times pre DC. it's amazing.

EBearhug Tue 13-Feb-18 09:02:51

I've been on a few, though mostly the same teacher. I went to Val de Moses in Portugal when I hadn't done yoga for years and wasn't that fit. (I'm still not that fit, but fitter than I was then.) I went mainly because they swim in a local river.

I've also been to one in Spain which was near the sea and had a swimming pool, so I swam every day as well as the yoga.

And I've done a handful of one day retreats in the UK.

For me, one of the best things is that I don't have to think much about what to do. I have to turn up on time, but then there are classes and food turns up without me having to cook or decide what to have, (and excellent food - I've always been well-fed on retreats!) and that made it all really relaxing.

I agree the teacher can make a massive difference.

EBearhug Tue 13-Feb-18 09:04:53

Yes - if you find a good teacher, just stalk them round the world, following their retreats.

sumsumsum Tue 13-Feb-18 09:21:35

And share them on MN...

Ofthread Tue 13-Feb-18 12:19:30

I have only been on ones with teachers I knew already.

EBearhug Tue 13-Feb-18 14:57:29

And share them on MN...

...after you've booked your own place, in case everyone else fills the spaces. smile

salsamummy Mon 19-Feb-18 21:10:01

I am running a retreat in September in SW France and would be perfect for a first retreat. www.haven-on-the-hill.com

Rawesome6 Sat 10-Mar-18 20:31:48

Recommend Ruth McNeil's retreats

daisychain01 Wed 14-Mar-18 13:45:38

I've tried a weekend yoga retreat, local to me, by my regular teacher who ran it with two friends who are massage experts. It meant the weekend wasn't just yoga, there were holistic therapies as well eg self foot massage techniques.

I did feel a bit "all Yoga'd out" by the end, I think I might find a week of it too much for me....

virgospirit Sat 17-Mar-18 16:59:41

I've been to two in Goa, both two week holidays, both were brilliant and I'll definitely go again. Yoga twice a day, an hour and half each session and lovely healthy food. One was a two week ashtanga course the other a vinyasa retreat.

TomRavenscroft Mon 19-Mar-18 16:29:14

I've only ever been on retreats where I knew, liked and trusted the teacher, but I do agree with this sentiment.

They can be quite intense, depending a bit on who you're with/if you're on your own, where they are (e.g. in an isolated area or near a town or other civilisation), the style of yoga and/or ethos/purpose of the retreat etc.

But I've never been on one and regretted it.

Mercurial123 Sat 24-Mar-18 10:15:04

I've just signed up for one in Chiang Rai, Northern Thailand. Reviews are really good, price is very reasonable and only a maximum of four people. You live with the owner and her two dogs, you can get Thai cooking lessons, massages etc for an additional cost. All food is included. Can't wait. It's not a luxury retreat but I wasn't looking for that.

onemouseplace Mon 26-Mar-18 18:27:48

I've just signed up for a week's retreat in Crete later in the year. I'm going on my own so half looking forward to it, half thinking "what the hell am I doing!".

Mercurial123 Tue 27-Mar-18 12:43:40

onemouse I wouldn't worry people will be open and friendly that's always been my experience. I'm by myself too, and can't wait. Hopefully I can arrange a couple of private lessons with the instructor if she has time.

PollyIndia Sun 01-Apr-18 09:36:53

I love yoga retreats. I am going to the France one on this website in June - can’t wait! Yoga, swimming pool and lovely cheese and wine.
Www.resetretreats.co.uk
I have been on yoga retreats in goa, Kerala and Morocco before, always on my own (actually Kerala was with my 3 year old too) and always had a great time.

yogiannie Thu 17-May-18 17:05:09

salsamummy your retreat looks fab 🙂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: