Talk

Advanced search

“Even the stiffest person can do the splits”

(16 Posts)
HermioneWeasley Mon 01-Jan-18 17:53:21

Is anyone else trying this. I’m very stiff/inflexible so I reckon anything is worth a try.

FrogsLegs32 Mon 01-Jan-18 17:55:07

No. Never been able to in my entire life despite being very flexible in general... it is not possible for everyone

thedevilinablackdress Mon 01-Jan-18 18:00:07

If you're asking whether yoga will make you more flexible, then yes. Over time it will no matter where you're starting from. But the splits? No yoga clads/style I've ever tried works towards this. You probably want ballet for that.

HermioneWeasley Mon 01-Jan-18 18:36:52

Should have clarified, I’m not actually aiming to do the splits (and I’m not sure th move aimed for is the splits!), just wanting to get more flexible, especially on my lower half.

thedevilinablackdress Mon 01-Jan-18 19:16:05

In that case, get stuck in! As the saying goes..."saying you're too stiff for yoga is like saying you're too dirty for a bath"

Butterymuffin Mon 01-Jan-18 19:18:00

Yoga is good but the instructors whenever I go always say take note of your own limits. It's never been expected that 'everyone' should be able to do the splits, or work at the same level.

HermioneWeasley Mon 01-Jan-18 19:35:59

I’d just like to see an improvement! I’m tired of not being able to get up off the floor!

IceBearRocks Mon 01-Jan-18 19:40:26

Me and all 3 dc are hypermobile...none can do splits but are very good at yoga and feel pain as soon as winter knock on the door!

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 01-Jan-18 19:43:54

Yoga will sort you out. And there are very weird tricks to flexibility.

Try to touch your toes, then read a paragraph of text backwards, then try again! You'll get much further.

WhoWants2Know Mon 01-Jan-18 21:29:12

I'm definitely going to try that one?

couldnteatawholeone Mon 01-Jan-18 21:46:50

As a yoga teacher I would say give it a try. However, there are many styles and teachers and no two teachers are the same (even if they teach the same style) so you may have to shop around a bit to find a teacher and/or style that works for you.
And frequency has a lot to do with improvement. I would say a few classes a week for a few months and you should notice the difference

sanityisamyth Mon 01-Jan-18 22:20:50

I have hyper mobility and I can't do the splits. I can't touch my toes either due to very short, tight calf muscles.

cactusbutt Sat 06-Jan-18 04:29:38

In terms of flexibility, it takes time. A lot of time and gentle, persistent effort. Finding a teacher that you like and who teaches in a style you can relate to is the best first step.

In terms of the splits, I don't believe that everyone can do the splits (or hanumanasana), even with lots of practice. I am a yoga teacher, I can't do full splits, although admittedly I haven't spent a huge deal of time trying. The class I attend is full of yoga teachers, and about 3 out of 20 in the class can do full splits. We usually work on it with one leg up the wall from down dog first get the stretch in the groins necessary to work on it from the ground.

Buck3t Fri 26-Jan-18 23:54:55

Try to remember it's not just muscles and ligaments. Your bone structure may prevent you getting deeper.

It's really important to stick to a consistent practice as well as alternating your style. e.g in the mornings you can do power, but in the evenings try yin.

Build up to the big poses. don't just try to get into the splits after a couple of warriors. Be truly mindful and you will find your range.

ElizaBenson Sun 11-Feb-18 19:11:46

I managed to do the splits after going to yoga for about 9 months but i could always do the splits and a child/teenager. But I was extremely unit and inflexible after being ill for a long time so its amazing the difference 9 months made, even if you dont get to the splits you will definitely get more flexible

NewYearNiki Sun 11-Feb-18 19:12:58

Hypermobile too.

Never could do the splits and still cant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: