Talk

Advanced search

Possible when you’re as flexible as a lump of concrete?

(10 Posts)
lyonnaise Sun 10-Dec-17 19:01:22

Or should I find another hobby?

I’ve always been awful, flexibility wise, to the point where a couple of past partners complained blush

Crowdo Sun 10-Dec-17 19:03:50

Yes, of course it's possible. It's not all about twisting yourself up like a pretzel. You always always stretch only to the point it's slightly uncomfortable for you. If that's a limited movement, so be it. You're still getting just the same effect for you personally.

WonkyDonk87 Sun 10-Dec-17 19:08:06

For me it's all about the process. Connecting your mind/body/breath is great every day, your flexibility and strength will improve as you go along. Doesn't matter where you are in terms of your flexibility, everyone's journey is different.

AlwaysColdHands Thu 14-Dec-17 06:40:23

Yes it's possible! Go for it, give it a try! I teach yoga and the range of flexibility is massive, it's the beautiful spectrum of humanity smile
Everyone can do something with the body they've got x

Dozer Thu 14-Dec-17 06:45:38

Were your past partners dickheads? How rude of them to complain about your body!

I am inflexible and do and love yoga and have made progress and feel good for it. Am still one of the least flexible in any class I go to, but that’s fine! A range of options in moves is offered.

ZaraW Fri 15-Dec-17 11:13:49

You work with your body I'm quite flexible but have limitations I have very tight hips and hamstrings but that's OK.

SummerKelly Fri 15-Dec-17 11:17:45

There's a quote that goes something like saying you're too inflexible to do yoga is like saying you're too dirty to have a bath. Go for it, yoga is great!

ArbitraryName Fri 15-Dec-17 11:28:59

I have arthritis in my spine and I’m not very flexible as a result. My rheumatologist actively encourages me to do yoga. It does improve my flexibility. I dread to think quite how inflexible I’d be if I stopped.

There are some positions that I’m just never going to manage. Others depend on the day. Others have very much improved over time. Good yoga teachers will help you to adapt the poses to suit your body and encourage you to focus on what you can do, not what you can’t. And certainly not on how you measure up against anyone else.

TBH, I don’t really notice what other people are doing as I’m too busy getting on with what I’m doing.

Buck3t Fri 15-Dec-17 15:58:09

The only flexibility you need is flexibility of the mind. Flexibility of the body is a by-product of the physical practice.

Practice, practice and all is coming.

loveoffitness Fri 12-Jan-18 12:36:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: