Talk

Advanced search

Poses You Avoid

(15 Posts)
ZaraW Sat 21-Oct-17 17:04:51

I have very tight hamstrings and I always hate it when the splits comes up in class. I actively avoid it. So today I've given myself a thirty day challenge to improve and see if I make any progress. Anybody else want to join in with any poses they struggle with?

Tigresswoods Sat 21-Oct-17 22:46:43

Anything that involves putting the crown of my head on the floor. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Papafran Thu 26-Oct-17 14:26:07

I am the same as you re tight hamstrings, especially in standing poses. Hate hate hate standing splits or parsvottanasana. Happy to join in the challenge as I would love to be more flexible.
Tigress I know, I have never even attempted headstand and have been doing yoga on and off for years. I would love to be able to do it some time though.
The one I used to hate but don't mind so much now is seated pigeon.

RhiannonOHara Thu 26-Oct-17 14:29:06

Anything that involves putting the crown of my head on the floor. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Oh yes. Gives me a really weird feeling. Even the thought of it makes me shudder.

I've no turnout in my hips so I hate wide-legged forward bends and things like cobbler pose. I do do them, but never seem to see any change.

Bombardier25966 Thu 26-Oct-17 14:32:39

Pigeon pose makes me cry, emotion not pain though.

I can't do crow. Bad shoulders plus labyrinthitis makes it a pretty dangerous move!

Papafran Thu 26-Oct-17 15:58:46

Yes, my yoga teacher always says that we hold so many emotions in our hips, Bombardier so it makes sense that the pose releases some of it.

RhiannonOHara Thu 26-Oct-17 16:00:00

I realise I didn't answer the question about joining in the challenge, so: YES, I'll join in and I pledge to do wide-legged standing forward bend and seated cobbler pose every day.

ZaraW Thu 26-Oct-17 20:46:08

Papafran I'm doing Forrest Yoga online interesting concept you let go of fear and negative emotions. I've only done it for a couple of days so will be interesting to see progress. I'm on day six of my splits challenge I've noticed a tiny bit of improvement but a long way to go.

mrs2cats Thu 26-Oct-17 21:47:10

I hate Pigeon pose. I find it uncomfortable 😣

itssquidstella Thu 26-Oct-17 22:27:29

I have crap balance, I am working on improving my warrior 3 and half moon poses at the moment.

Ta1kinPeece Thu 26-Oct-17 22:30:19

At the moment I have a damaged foot so cannot lunge on one side
so I'm having to adapt massively

BUT
on a long term view
my skeleton does not do the splits
it never did, it never will
so I focus on my intercostals and lover back muscles instead

Growingboys Fri 27-Oct-17 23:38:24

I did frog pose in yin yoga yesterday- never done it before and we had to hold it for five minutes to stretch our piriformis.

Hard!

Nakedavenger74 Sat 28-Oct-17 06:30:52

@mrs2cats I used to hate pigeon now it's my favourite. Prop where it hurts ((the non supported hip) with a blanket and breathe into where you can feel the stretch. You will feel yourself totally release. You are realeasing the fascia and it's an incredible stretch for flexibility. Fighting the feeling will make it worse and breathing into the area has a weird magic ability to allow you to release

ZaraW Thu 02-Nov-17 12:14:53

Still not making much progress how is everything else doing?

Warhammerwidow89 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:53:17

I'm doing the 30 day challenge with Adrienne currently. Although dipped in and out of yoga for a while now. I struggle with anything that requires me to bed in half. But that's my tummy. So i need to lose that.

Not really a pose, but I struggle with green tea. Try as I might just can't stand the stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: