Talk

Advanced search

Complete novice needs help: DDP yoga?

(18 Posts)
notaflyingmonkey Sat 21-Oct-17 09:08:15

So, I am very overweight, and have osteoarthritis in many joints. I want to find a yoga that I can start with at home to increase my flexibility, but which is not going to stress my joints too much, or make me feel like a complete failure on day 1.

I saw a video yesterday about DPP yoga, but can't seem to buy the DVDs here. Can anyone recommend a starting point for me please?

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Sat 21-Oct-17 10:07:47

I think you should always find a good yoga class with a British Wheel of Yoga instructor, to begin with at least.

Firstly because there will be moves you should not do with your medical issues and a good instructor will give you alternatives. Which is important for you, so that you don't do moves that will cause harm.

Secondly because if your form isn't right, as with lots of types of exercise, the poses can do more harm than good. You need someone who will correct you in poses, so that you get them right.

Yoga has been brilliant for me though. I'm really pleased with how it's helped me regain strength and controlled flexibility. After numerous crippling health issues.

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Sat 21-Oct-17 10:12:04

Also depending on how overweight you are there are some poses you may need to do differently because a large stomach can get in the way - a good instructor will help with alternatives due to that too. (Talking from experience)

notaflyingmonkey Sat 21-Oct-17 11:23:35

Thanks swimming. I think though that I am so very unfit that I would just feel humiliated to be in a class when I can't even get up and down off the floor without help.

ZaraW Sat 21-Oct-17 16:56:39

I would try Yin or Hatha yoga. Restorative yoga is really nice as poses are accessible you would only do six or seven in a class it's very relaxing and as you hold poses for so long it helps with flexibility.

ZaraW Sat 21-Oct-17 17:00:09

Look for Jessamyn Stanley she's a larger yoga instructor she's really positive and a great teacher. I've seen her on Facebook and she also has classes on Cody. App but you have to pay to access them.

notaflyingmonkey Sat 21-Oct-17 17:20:08

Thanks Zara, I'll have a look at those.

ZaraW Sat 21-Oct-17 17:36:06

Google her she has some free classes her beginners one is good has she has a larger body she explains how to adapt poses.

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Sat 21-Oct-17 17:39:29

Op you honestly wouldn't look out of place in the class I'm in. There is me and another woman who are obese, lots of variation in flexibility and strength, I think most of us have some form of long lasting injury and/or disability, there is also lots of variation in age - we even have a woman in her late 80's (who does require various adaptations due to osteoporosis) - she also does chair based yoga class with the same instructor on a different day. My instructor is also very good at giving adaptations discretely if it's just one individual or during the main instruction if it's something that effects more than one just as a generally "anyone with a vertebrae or disk problem is going to do x, everyone else do z".

Avoid gym based yoga classes and look for a British Wheel of Yoga Instructor who runs independent classes. Gym ones tend to attract more of the already fit and able.

Could be worth initially doing a chair based yoga class? That will usually have people who have various, more severe disabilities. May be less intimidating?

I do honestly know how terrifying it can be to go to an actual class but once you've found the right one, you'll realise everyone has trouble with various parts of it.

I was petrified of starting - it took me a ridiculously long time to pluck up the courage to bite the bullet and go through with it. I'm really glad I did go and have never regretted it. Initially it was incredibly difficult for me, I was bright red from the exertion (I had no strength at all really), was ridiculously ungraceful in getting off the floor, my big stomach got in the way, etc. But I could feel the benefit and realised that no-one notices what anyone else is doing anyway. I have never felt judged, in those sessions, for my lack of strength, mobility, or excess weight, or in any other way.

notaflyingmonkey Sat 21-Oct-17 19:51:37

Swimming thank you so much for your encouragement.

Papafran Thu 26-Oct-17 17:18:45

Agree that you should go to a couple of beginners classes. It really is not about humiliation- yoga is individual to each person and nobody will judge you just because you're not as far into the journey as they are. Speak to the teacher about your worries as well and they can give you modified versions of the poses to try.
I would also recommend something like Hatha or Yin which is slower than Vinyasa flows and Ashtanga.

Once you have the basics and want to try a home practice, Yoga with Adriene is great and she has complete beginner videos. It's all free on youtube. They are various lengths so you can do whatever fits into your day. Here is one just to watch before you try a class so you have an idea of what is coming. www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYKMP6rOE
Good luck in your yoga journey!

notaflyingmonkey Thu 26-Oct-17 19:23:40

Thanks Papafran.

GeekyWombat Tue 07-Nov-17 17:15:49

I’m doing DDP Yoga. I’ve got the app - it is available for IOS and Android and I got a special card getting it for a month free and at £8.99 a month after that. If you’re interested I can DM you a screenshot.

I’m on week seven of the Beginner Beginner workout. I’m pretty unfit, been working on losing weight all year and am four stone down but still a good couple to go.

I’d more likely fly in the air than go to an actual yoga class.

I’m finding it really helpful. From what I can tell parts of it are based on more usual yoga moves and some of it is stuff DDP has developed in conjunction with a doctor.

In six weeks I’ve lost about half a stone (but was healthy eating before that) but I’ve also lost nine inches around various bits of my body and started gaining muscles. It’s really strengthened my back too - I have scoliosis and big boobs and have generally woken every morning with a sore back since I had the DC. The last month or so I’ve barely had any pain at all. What’s great about it is all the DVD and app workouts come with ‘modifications’ so there’s three people doing them - someone who does the advanced stuff, someone the regular stuff and someone who helps modify if you’re unfit or inflexible or whatever. Also, the workout levels on the app start with a chair based workout as a pre-Beginner level (I’ve started on Beginner though).

If you want to chat more about it do give me a PM. I’m on a really helpful Facebook group that answered a lot of my questions about it.

notaflyingmonkey Tue 07-Nov-17 17:48:13

geekywombat I don't know how to PM you - please can you send me a screenshot of the app?

I'm glad to hear you are having such a positive start to it.

GeekyWombat Tue 07-Nov-17 17:57:25

Just putting the DC to bed now, will dig out the card and message later tonight Monkey.

Happy to answer any questions - to be honest I’ve been so happy with how it’s going I came on here hoping for a thread to chat to other people doing it (I don’t usually hang out on the yoga board!).

GeekyWombat Tue 07-Nov-17 20:41:13

Notaflyingmonkey I’ve sent you a message, check your inbox.

notaflyingmonkey Wed 08-Nov-17 09:04:00

GeekyWombat got it, thanks. Will have a look and sign up later.

Helena17 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:42:06

join a beginner classes so it would be easier to fit it with the newbies and you can all start fresh and share your experiences. It's good to do it slowly and the goal is actually not so much on the physical but mental and then the rest will follow. check yoga.com. Goodluck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now