Talk

Advanced search

HOT yoga...bikram, fierce grace etc.

(6 Posts)
fucko Tue 10-Oct-17 22:45:02

Hello smile

I gave up smoking on 1 May and in celebration I joined my (very) local hot yoga studio. (Local is relevant, it really costs me no agro to turn up to classes it's so near.)

I was already a yoga lover and hot yoga was a step up... and boy was it...

I experienced an almost euphoric response up until now... despite really struggling making it through the whole 90 mins. I have tended to give so much in the standing series I was spent and really strugged through the floor series.

My question: my fear of 'the wall' and breathing through it has become harder and not easier?!?

Has anyone else experienced the same?

All web searches I've done have revealed people find it progressively easier, and not harder.

I do stress I put everything into a posture, which is why I often feel spent when it comes to the 2 minute break between the standing and floor series. But I'm disheartened its not getting easier, worse still might be getting harder.

Now I have a little ego flicker in my mind that says I don't want to go to a class... such a different emotion from until now, when I couldn't be more up for the prospect of a class :/

Anyone else experienced similar?

Please tell me I'm not alone?

Magickl Wed 11-Oct-17 18:14:52

I was struggling to finish my once a week ashtanga class until I started doing two different style classes (vinyasa flow) at other times in the week . This increase in frequency but not intensity has increased my stamina and I'm back to feeling euphoric after ashtanga.
For me personally, the consistent approach seems to be working.

ToastyToasty Thu 12-Oct-17 06:52:08

Maybe, you're actually trying to push yourself a bit too much? Take your effort back to 80%.
Also you need to not push yourself all the way in a hot room, or you could sustain an injury/strain that you won't feel at the time (because all muscles etc too warm)
Other kinds of yoga will complement and help with the hot style too. They will help with increased flexibility & strength & help you learn to control and use your breath better, which will then pay off in the more demanding practices smile

Nakedavenger74 Thu 12-Oct-17 07:32:58

I've done bikram (and fierce grace) for 5 years. I adore it. I'm pretty much addicted.

Re the breathing. It's the hardest things to get right. Breath slowly, deeply and surely and just focus on it. Nothing else just breath. I bet you are holding your breath and don't realise. When on the floor go for 80:20 breathing when in postures. That means breathe in when moving into posture then take little sips when in posture but don't hold your breath.

fucko Thu 16-Nov-17 23:59:08

Aw thank you for replying peeps smile
As I'm discovering, my relationship with hot yoga is a love/hate experience sad) I'm totally addicted to the after feeling, and the effects on my mind and body!

I'm in bournemouth which has a fantastic yoga lounge with teachers I'm privileged to be in a class with smile I'm slowly learning the discipline of wanting to go all out initially, and then finding I'm out of gas for the next chapter...

Part of my re-education has been that as a prior yoga peep, I can make all the big moves and postures/stretches... but doing all that in a hot environment represents a whole new challenge! I have Reynaulds and also difficult temperature control in heat which I think adds to the challenge.

Buzzing from a fierce grace tonight, and to add to that, super excited that Fierce Grace founder Michele Pernetta is doing a workshop and class with us in December, wooeee!

heathermum1982 Thu 30-Nov-17 13:01:30

Hi all,

I am joined to an amazing yoga studio (Kula Yoga & Wellbeing) in Clapham Junction, just 2 mins from the station. I have 2 young kids and I can tell you now this place has saved my life! I was pretty much stuck in a rut for a couple of years when the kids were born and had no time to myself but was able to 'escape' once walking in the door of this place.
Hot yoga I found very hard initially but the teachers are very encouraging and are great for adjustments. I personally found the hot yoga beginners workshop very good.
They take place every first sunday of the month and the teacher Marylou is amazing. She gives everyone individual attention (in a nice manner) and spends time with you to ensure you are in the correct alignment.
The intro offer in Kula is £45 for 30 days, which isn't bad at all. You get unlimited classes, and not just in yoga. Just leaving the studio now and feeling amazing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: