Talk

Advanced search

Unbendy feet, plantar fasciitis and Yoga Toes

(6 Posts)
KittyB52 Mon 22-May-17 10:18:17

When I did a yoga class a year or so ago, I discovered that I was completely unable to stretch my toes. I also couldn't cradle my feet with my fingers between my toes as it made me queasy. blush

I started walking to improve my fitness and quickly developed plantar fasciitis. It has returned again, and I was wondering if it could be linked to my unbendy toes? I saw something called 'Yoga Toes' which are plastic/silicone toe separators and wondered if they would help?

Does anyone have experience of these or something similar, or could recommend some yoga exercises to help flexibility in my feet?

CoteDAzur Tue 23-May-17 21:56:25

I didn't quite understand the problem. Can't stretch your toes? Do you mean that you can't bend them back?

Can you stand on tiptoe? If so, you should be able to stretch back your toes.

What happens when you place fingers between toes?

KittyB52 Wed 24-May-17 06:56:58

Like clenching your fist and then spreading your hand out, one of the yoga exercises was a similar move for feet but when I tried to spread my toes apart, nothing happens. I couldn't really get my fingers between my toes as it made me feel queasy. blush That's why I thought the Yoga Toes might help.

LordEmsworth Wed 24-May-17 10:06:06

Most people can't spread their feet when they start yoga. We cram our feet into shoes all day, so our feet don't learn to stretch. It's the very very first thing a beginner should learn, the spreading of the feet engages the leg muscles in the right way so is crucial. If your feet muscles drop, it affects the lift of the entire body.

Yoga Toes will help but you can just use the foam toe separators that you get for painting your toenails, as a much cheaper way. No idea about the queasiness though...

Reow Wed 24-May-17 10:08:27

It took me ages and ages to be able to do "yoga toes". It's not a natural move, so it's difficult to get your brain to tell your toes to do something they are not used to doing.

Practice!

KittyB52 Wed 24-May-17 18:22:12

I will try those toe separators then, they seem easier to get hold of than the yoga toes. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now