Talk

Advanced search

Yoga newbie - I think I'm being a wuss!

(15 Posts)
MamehaSan Sat 20-May-17 20:26:02

This might be a slightly random question, apologies if so. I've been going to an ante/post-natal yoga class for a few months - all very basic, gentle stuff. However, I find it difficult to hold some of the floor poses for very long because... the floor's too hard! E.g if we're sitting, legs extended outwards along the floor, after a minute my heels really, really hurt (even if my feet are together on the mat it hurts, but if my legs are apart and my feet are off the mat on the floor it's agony!) . Or in other poses it's like I can feel the bones in my bum hurting as the floor's pressing them through the mat.

I'm not particularly carrying any extra weight (apart from a post-partum tum I'm slim), so I don't have any spare padding to act as a cushion. There are several even slimmer people in the lesson though and they don't seem to have an issue...

So is this a common thing? Am I being a wuss and just need to practice more?

sebashocked Sat 20-May-17 20:30:23

Not a wuss at all. You probably need a thicker mat -do you use your own or the yoga studio's. Either invest in a better mat or double up. It's important to be comfortable.

Mellifera Sat 20-May-17 20:31:42

You need a thicker mat or a blanket underneath. Let the yoga teacher know as well.
You're not a wuss 🙂 Yoga isn't bootcamp, it should feel good. Difficult yes, but not painful.

MamehaSan Sat 20-May-17 23:06:20

Ah thanks. The mats are provided by the instructor, I might invest in one of my own then. I saw there was a thread about mats so I'll have a look.

What do you do when the pose requires your extremities to be "off-mat" though?

tinytoucan Sat 20-May-17 23:42:17

I do Pilates and take my own mat so I can double up with the one provided by the instructor. I'm fine for most moves but anything on my side is very painful without the extra padding!

thethoughtfox Sun 21-May-17 09:06:42

I thought I was being smart and bought an extra thick mat but it was difficult to keep a firm grip with your feet on it and they slid about a bit. Check out reviews before you buy one.

ZaraW Sun 21-May-17 12:31:39

I'm going to buy yoga jellies as I have wrist pain, expensive but reviews are pretty good.

MamehaSan Sun 21-May-17 23:25:15

Good point about losing grip on a squidgy mat... I'll definitely do some research before I shell out.

CoteDAzur Sat 27-May-17 21:38:46

My heels hurt, too, in the position you describe in the OP. I fold the sides of the mat, or put towels under my feet. There is no need to suffer smile

HellonHeels Thu 01-Jun-17 17:06:20

Ouch! Definitely don't suffer, use blanket, towels, extra mat etc.

Some people just don't have the same sensitive spots. My knees hurt me the most, for any kneeling pose I'm usually on a blanket under the knees.

Peppapogstillonaloop Thu 01-Jun-17 17:08:08

Mandela make excellent yoga mats and you can get different thicknesses. I also particularly like jade yoga mats but not sure if you can get them in this country

Peppapogstillonaloop Thu 01-Jun-17 17:08:30

Manduka! Not Mandela!

MamehaSan Mon 05-Jun-17 00:32:40

Thanks for the tips and recommendations smile

mylaptopismylapdog Mon 05-Jun-17 00:57:07

I have helped in a mother and baby glass many times you should talk to your teacher and they should be able to suggest adjustments or props that can help you. Yoga is more about observing your breath and body than striving for a particular goal, it isn't competitive. You also can't really predict by looking at someone how their body will be so comparing yourself to others isn't particularly helpful. Also don't forget that your body is probably still recovering from the process of pregnancy and birth so you are not being a wuss to listen to it. Hope you can become more comfortable and enjoy it more.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Thu 08-Jun-17 19:03:56

I tend to take my own mat and place it on top of the one supplied by the class to get a double thickness. I am really tall and needed an extra long one!

Pilates mats are typically thicker than yoga mats IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now