Talk

Advanced search

Any thoughts on Yoga perfect feet & Sock Etiquette?

(11 Posts)
GardenGeek Sun 26-Mar-17 16:31:10

I have always gone barefoot whilst in yoga, but I always get self conscious that my feet appear dirty... because no matter how 'clean' they are - shower, dry and put socks on right before class. I always seem to get a bit of 'sock fluff' in my toes.

Also my heels are rather dry and quite yellow & I worry people will think they are grim.

Do you have any tips on yoga perfect feet?

Or shall I just invest in the yoga socks I have seen recently? Or would this be bad etiquette even though yoga socks?

Any tips or any reviews from anyone who has tried yoga socks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Maxwellthecat Sun 26-Mar-17 16:36:11

I hate the socks, part of the reason yoga is done barefoot is so you can get sensory feed back of your posture through your foot on the ground, it's just not the same with socks on.
I have a yoga studio and I think most people's feet aren't perfect, I for example have hairy toes and every time I do a sun salutation on the way down I think 'oh I need to shave those toes' and never do blush

I would get some cream for the heel, possibly wear it overnight with a sock on like you do with hand cream but then I'd not worry about it. Most people are too busy enjoying the yoga to think about your feet.

grin

Rumtopf Sun 26-Mar-17 16:43:55

I wouldn't even notice someone else's feet tbh, but I do make sure mine are pumiced, nails neat and painted and I moisturise with Flexitol cream overnight with socks on. Keeps the hard skin from building up.
I've got yoga socks but don't wear them unless it's freezing in there.

LevantineHummus Sun 26-Mar-17 17:03:30

I got special "yoga socks" from a physiotherapy website. Fully aware that yoga in India doesn't use "special socks" so I thought it was a rip off, however I get cold feet a lot.

They're non slip socks with toes. They felt a bit strange the first time but I really like wearing them because I realised I don't have to worry about other people's feet either and whether I'll get a verucca etc (not sure I would, but I don't even need to think about it now!). I wore normal socks once and really didn't like it. You can't spread your toes the same way in normal socks.

The downside is that they're "sky" blue..which in reality makes me look like I have Smurf feet!!!

GardenGeek Sun 26-Mar-17 18:46:23

Thanks everyone.

Glad you don't notice others feet. Tbh I dont either, but my feet look like they have a severe case of jaundice envy blurgh! It might be hard not to notice.

I might try the yoga socks.

Off to grab a pumice stone first and foremost though grin

ZaraW Sun 26-Mar-17 19:08:19

I've never noticed anyone's feet either I don't think anyone would care. I've tried yoga socks and hated them.

Marvellousmarg Mon 27-Mar-17 18:14:10

Nobody cares what they look like, as long as they are clean and not smelly!

Best in bare feet as you need to feel the base of each asana fully.

GardenGeek Mon 27-Mar-17 23:20:34

Thanks again, I should just stop being self conscious! and continue to stay at the back row grin

thenightsky Mon 27-Mar-17 23:23:09

I don't do yoga, but I do do Pilates.

None of us would dream of putting our bare feet on the mats that are used by other people!

We take a small towel for our heads and wear thick slipper socks on our feet.

ZaraW Tue 28-Mar-17 17:19:41

the night sky don't people clean their mats they've borrowed after a lesson? My studio is pretty strict about it. Yoga should be done bare foot.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 28-Mar-17 17:24:42

I've just got a couple of pairs for pilates - I don't like being barefoot in a studio, but needed something non-slip. Sports direct, dark grey with bright green non-slip, so not smurfy. Someone else in the class has black ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now