Talk

Advanced search

Yoga without child free time!

(15 Posts)
Prettybaffled Fri 13-Jan-17 07:23:49

For a variety of reasons (SN, dh long hours etc) I have no child free time at the moment to do yoga.

I really feel both mind and body would benefit if I did some though!

Is anyone in the same boat and would like to swap ideas on how we can add a little yoga to a crazy everyday life!?

So far I've thought of:

Daily yoga relaxation at night from the internet

Getting mat out and doing a few yoga stretches daily with the younger ones - literally just five minutes of cat etc

Trying to use yoga type thinking daily e.g. when worries strike bringing myself back to the present and noticing the good things in the real here and now

Looking for a yoga workshop every other month to go to while dh takes the kids - would be a new thing but hopefully he will be happy to do that if he can also have time out to do something.

Anyone else want to join and have a bit of a support thread?

Prettybaffled Fri 13-Jan-17 13:25:04

Little bump smile

PhyllisWig Fri 13-Jan-17 13:25:09

How old are the dcs? There is a kids yoga channel on YouTube called cosmic kids where they work through little stories. Maybe you could do together - ok it's bit much for you but it's something and it's fun. Probably aimed at 4-5 year olds although my 7 yo still loves us and does an excellent downward dog.

PhyllisWig Fri 13-Jan-17 13:26:15

Not much, not bit much!

Prettybaffled Fri 13-Jan-17 13:42:29

Ooh Phyllis that sounds amazing - dc are all under 6 so sounds perfect smile

SooDeNimm Fri 13-Jan-17 13:42:42

Look for yoga with adriene on youtube, she's ace.

Dizzywizz Fri 13-Jan-17 13:44:09

Yes yes to cosmic kids, my kids love it. Also, i do 10 mins before bed, using an app.

Captainladder Fri 13-Jan-17 13:47:05

another thumbs up for cosmic kids
also yoga before bed is lovely
if you do 10 (5 even) mins of yoga while kids are around without necessarily inviting them to do it, you might find they become interested and try and copy you, which would be good for everyone smile

hibouhibou Fri 13-Jan-17 13:51:44

I put on a video this morning in DD(1)'s play area and did my yoga whilst she played for 10-15 mins. Couldn't do a few poses because she kept climbing all over me but I got something done.

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Jan-17 23:25:56

Cosmic Kids is brilliant smile

Or you could always stick on a DVD and go into your room for half an hour. Would that not work?

WhisperingLoudly Fri 13-Jan-17 23:28:30

I use the yoga studio ap and get up at 5 to do it. Youngest DC (5) often gets up and does it with me

OneOrgasmicBirthPlease Tue 17-Jan-17 09:42:00

Thank you so much for recommending cosmic kids, one happy 5 year old squeezed 20 mins of yoga before school today!

Could you find a gym/yoga studio with a crèche? It ups the cost considerably than just doing it in front of YouTube, but that's what I do. This morning I went to a class at 6.40 and was back home in time to wake the kids up and get them ready for school/childminding.

Lots of brilliant tips, thanks for this thread!

OneOrgasmicBirthPlease Tue 17-Jan-17 09:50:02

Sorry, just re-read the OP and noticed the bit about SN, which could make finding the right childcare a lot trickier. However, my rather amazing gym crèche does have some SN provisions, so it may be worth asking.

Prettybaffled Tue 17-Jan-17 20:52:32

Thanks for all the great advice - I will try some of these tips out!!

Bansteadmum Wed 15-Mar-17 07:13:43

Creches can be amazing! Or a childminder if there are lots where you are and you can afford a regular short session.

Weekend classes, or online ones at home while DH looks after the DC.

Or an evening class if DH comes back early on a set day in the week.

As DC get older (6+ ?) you might well be able to do it while they're there, I do one hour classes online, one DC likes yoga and sometimes joins in or we do Cosmic Kids, miles better than me at it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now