PlsRecommend a beginners Pilates DVD?!

(8 Posts)
Blossom4538 Mon 18-Jul-16 14:18:25

Hi all,
My GP has recommended I start Pilates to strengthen my back. I was considering trying a DVD at home first off..any recs please?! X

Balletgirlmum Mon 18-Jul-16 14:21:16

I wouldn't reccomend it unless you are experienced. You need a teacher to check alignment.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 18-Jul-16 14:35:54

I'd tend to agree - I started Pilates last year, a very subtle difference in position can have a huge effect. Having said that - I opened this thread because I probably won't be able to go to classes over the summer, and was wondering whether to try a DVD and was thinking it'd be best to do something that wasn't going further than I'm at iyswim.

Blossom, as your GP recommended pilates it might be worth checking if they know of any appropriate classes in your area. It really is very good for backs!

Balletgirlmum Mon 18-Jul-16 15:04:07

Dd has New York City Ballet Pilates DVD but it's quite advanced. It was certainly beyond dh who has done Pilates for a bad back.

ZaraW Sat 23-Jul-16 15:01:32

10 minute solution with resistance band is excellent.

Blossom4538 Sat 23-Jul-16 16:14:41

Thank u!

ErrolTheDragon Sat 23-Jul-16 18:16:10

I haven't tried it yet but I noticed that there's a beginners Pilates guide on the nhs website http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/nhs-fitness-studio/Pages/pilates-for-beginners.aspx which I think has its own video but also links to further info so that might be worth a look.

hugoagogo Fri 29-Jul-16 20:38:29

I have pilates for dummies it's pretty good, but I would say you we be better starting with an actual class so your instructor can make sure your positions aren't going to do you more harm than good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now