Talk

Advanced search

sore wrist?

(12 Posts)
wickedfairy Sun 10-Apr-16 08:52:38

Have managed to hurt my wrist, think it was when doing plank/down dog. Do your wrists get more used to weight bearing or was I in the wrong position?

In down dog, should my wrists be under my shoulders of further forward? Thanks for any advice!

CoteDAzur Sun 10-Apr-16 18:01:24

First of all, no more yoga for you until your wrist is better. This is important. Don't force it until the injury heals.

Your wrists will be under your shoulders in plank but then will remain further forward as you push back to downward dog.

Does this help?

wickedfairy Mon 11-Apr-16 19:31:46

Hi Cote, thank you for the advice! Yes, it helps - I think my placement has been correct from your explanation, I must just not be used to weight bearing.

Will lay off those poses, or use firearms until it heals - thanks again!

wickedfairy Mon 11-Apr-16 19:32:42

Ha! *forearms. Firearms would be against the ethos of yogablushsmile

CoteDAzur Tue 12-Apr-16 13:57:47

Please don't use firearms during yoga practice grin

cece Tue 12-Apr-16 23:07:43

yogajournal has some articles on this topic....

cece Tue 12-Apr-16 23:08:48

Here and I am sure there were more on this website.

cece Tue 12-Apr-16 23:11:35

Looks interesting

wickedfairy Wed 13-Apr-16 08:34:59

Thank you Cece - they are very informative!

CoteDAzur Wed 13-Apr-16 09:37:33

Great links, thank you cece smile

Peppapogstillonaloop Sat 16-Apr-16 20:55:28

This is a useful diagram

PriyaYoga Mon 13-Jun-16 18:15:59

As a yoga teacher, for sensitive wrists for certain poses it can also be beneficial to bring your hands just slightly further forward of your shoulders (this decreases the angle at the wrists) also practise a lot coming high on the heels of the hands (onto the finger mounds) as usually the weight will just go straight down into the heel of the hand and straight onto the carpal tunnel. So practise weight baring less into the heels of the hands and dispersing weight more evenly. Also you can do half plank (knees to the floor) takes some of the weight out the wrists smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now