Talk

Advanced search

yoga is quite hard, isn't it?

(15 Posts)
wickedfairy Sat 09-Apr-16 13:51:57

Am just starting to try yoga and am doing the yoga camp videos with Adriene. It's quite hard, isn't it? Or is it just me?smile

I am not very flexible, so am looking to improve that. Have been running for about 3 months so am generally trying to improve my fitness.

Can't really get to a yoga class just now, but do go to Pilates once a week. Any tips please? I presume it gets easier?? Thanks

Peppapogstillonaloop Sat 09-Apr-16 13:59:13

It is hard! It will get easier. The more you do the easier and more Flexible you will get. Running will tighten you up again though!
Work on your breathing good strong breath will help. Keep practising it will get easier!

ijustwannadance Sat 09-Apr-16 14:02:48

Yes it does get easier. Just warm up properly. You can also do yogalates which combines the two.

ChangedToday Sat 09-Apr-16 14:08:08

There are many different types of yoga, some are gentler, others harder etc. But yes, it does get easier, don't push too hard esp. if you're doing it at home without an instructor to make sure you move the right way.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 09-Apr-16 14:16:58

Yeah I always thought yoga was just lying in funny positions making 'omm' noises. Fuck me, it is hard. I actually cried in one class because the teacher was a cowbag because it was so hard. I am a runner, worlds tightest hamstrings, very poor core and upper body strength. Yoga is good for me but it is tough!

wickedfairy Sat 09-Apr-16 18:50:59

So running tightens you up? How do? I didn't realise - I'm new to this exercise malarkey!

I take it you can still do both though?

wickedfairy Sat 09-Apr-16 18:51:24

*how so?

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 09-Apr-16 20:41:30

Yes it's good to do yoga to counteract the impact of the running.

Peppapogstillonaloop Sun 10-Apr-16 11:07:52

Yes you can do both of course! Yoga very good to stretch you out and reduce the tightness. My yoga master trainer reckoned that you need to do yoga for the equivalent time you ran in order to return to normal flexibility and double the amount of time of you actually want to then improve your flexibility!

wickedfairy Sun 10-Apr-16 12:07:14

Thank you all - that's good to know, especially the part about exceeding running time if you want to improve flexibility. I want to become flexible as I am currently the opposite! I run three 5km per week though (only done this for a few months though), so now I know I need to do moresmile

olafisking Mon 11-Apr-16 10:27:54

I've been doing a regular yoga class since September, started once a week and then added an extra class just before Christmas so I now do Tuesday evening and Sunday morning. However I missed 2 weeks worth of classes because of Easter and being ill, and I can't believe how much stretch I lost in that time! It goes to show that it really does make a massive difference. The class I do is Iyengar yoga which is slower and more intentioned, working on correctness of poses and building strength and flexibility. My proudest moment was when I did my first headstand a few weeks ago (against a wall, but still!).

I think my husband thought it was all Ommmmmm etc until he noticed I had developed biceps!

cece Mon 11-Apr-16 14:51:07

Yoga is hard, especially iyenger! I think the secret is to be patient. It really does improve with time and practice. However you have to be patient and yes breathing right is very important.

ChangedToday Tue 12-Apr-16 12:32:03

Yes! Iyengar all the way. Standing still for a few minutes to hold a pose and still being totally out of breath and needing a minute to get my breath back afterwards is my best memory of how hard it is. And yes it helps me enormously with my running, releasing stiff hips and tight calves. No Omms in my class either grin

cece Tue 12-Apr-16 19:18:26

I do go to another class where we ommmm and chant as well. I quite like now (once I got over the self consciousness).

PriyaYoga Mon 13-Jun-16 18:19:56

Running is an impact sport and works on strengthening muscles by making them bigger, yoga strengthens muscles in the same way ballet does, by lengthening them. Because when you're running your bending your knees and you don't actually stretch the muscles smile good to combine the 2!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now