which mat best for a beginner?

(7 Posts)
wickedfairy Sun 14-Feb-16 13:29:47

I am going to start yoga and have been reading the threads here about yoga with Adrienne. Looking forward to it!!

I have a rubbish, cheap mat - just an exercise one, so I want to get a new mat. I have read a few threads and was thinking about the Manduka Eco lite one - do you think this would be OK?

I am 5'8" - is the standard 180cm one long enough or should I be getting one of the longer option mats?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

RubberDuck Sun 14-Feb-16 14:35:33

I love my Manduka mat and I think it was the Eko one I ended up with, but mine's a 4mm. I think it would depend on whether you're planning to use it on hard floors or carpeted area? Standard length one has been fine for me so far - not had any problems yet smile

RubberDuck Sun 14-Feb-16 14:36:17

Ah wait, the Eko Lite comes in a 4mm variation - that must have been the one I got grin

wickedfairy Sun 14-Feb-16 15:25:32

Hi Rubberduck,

Sounds like the one you have is the same! Is 4mm ok? I have wooden floors but also rugs, so I suppose I would do it on the rug, unless wooden floor is better??

What height are you, if you don't mind me asking please? I would assume it is long enough - I must measure my rubbish one when I get home, am sure that is too short

Thanks for your help!

RubberDuck Sun 14-Feb-16 16:05:32

I'm 5'4" so about average height I think? I use mine on carpet, but not a terribly brilliant carpet. I think I did a package where I got a yoga towel, carry straps and the mat which was handy. I think Adriene recommends using a rolled up towel or doubling up the mat to give more cushioning for knees (and that's certainly what I did while in a hotel with no yoga mat!)

wickedfairy Sun 14-Feb-16 17:25:12

Ok, thanks! I measured my cheap one and it's only 150cm, no wonder I thought it was short!! I suppose I can always use that under the new one if I need extra padding.

I meant to ask this before - when you unroll the mat, does it lie flat or start to curl up? My cheap one curls up, so I roll it inside out half the time. I hope that is just because it's weird plastic??

RubberDuck Sun 14-Feb-16 21:59:25

I made the point during the first few weeks of use to roll it up after use in different ways (i.e. right way/wrong way/start at either end). Nice and flat now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now