Yoga for anxiety

(10 Posts)
Fckup Fri 01-Jan-16 22:13:30

I suffer with anxiety and have just had my venlafaxine increased. I've done 2 days of a 20 minute morning yoga programme on you tube which I love. Are there any poses that are especially good for helping combat anxiety?

CoteDAzur Fri 01-Jan-16 23:19:42

I think regular yoga practice in general would help with your anxiety, rather than a specific pose. It will direct you to focus on your breath, quieten your mind, set your intention at the beginning of your practice and lie down to rest and meditate at the end as you relax every part of your body.

After a while, these practices start seeping through to other parts of your life. At least for me, yoga has been very helpful in calming my mind.

ThatEffingCreakyFloor Sat 02-Jan-16 07:27:51

You might be interested to try restorative yoga, have a read at this: www.ekhartyoga.com/everything-yoga/yoga-styles/restorative-yoga

Often 'open' postures (e.g. Backbends) can cause people to feel more exposed & vulnerable whereas 'closed' postures (e.g. Forward bends, Childs pose) can create more of a feeling of safety, so observe what feels best for yourself.
Also have a go at nadi shodhana, alternate nostril breathing. Feels daft to begin with but very effective & calming.

daisychain01 Thu 07-Jan-16 22:59:17

We did nadi shodhana alternate breathing tonight and I found it beneficial.

I'm back at work on Monday and was feeling my anxiety levels going up today, as I know there's going to be soooo much to catch up on.

It made me feel really calm.

MxJackMonroe Thu 21-Jan-16 00:08:57

I have a couple of YouTube videos saved, an Irish guy with a soft gentle voice slowly talking through Surya Namaskara (A and B) that I find very useful. I repeat it a few times and if I am feeling confident, I have a 'yoga playlist' on my phone and do it to those.
I find downward dog good for centring myself, and warrior pose feels somehow strengthening. I will find the link for the video. I suffer quite horrendously with anxiety, and find yoga very neutralising and calming. I hope it helps. Jx

gleegeek Thu 21-Jan-16 00:28:28

Watching this with interest...

salsamummy Sun 14-Feb-16 08:08:26

I am a yoga teacher and teach restorative which is very helpful for anxiety though as a sufferer myself I sometimes like a more active practice as it seems to burn off the excessive energy. (I am normally known as yogimum on here)
And yes to alternate nostril bdeath and humming bee breath.

madmotherof2 Sun 14-Feb-16 08:25:02

Place marking, my therapist recommended that I try yoga at my last session, I'm hoping to start after half term

thegiddylimit Sun 14-Feb-16 14:35:23

Everyone's favourite: Yoga for Anxiety

Orchidflower1 Fri 29-Apr-16 08:05:05

Will try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now