Talk

Advanced search

DVD/book recommendations?

(16 Posts)
saltedcaramel86 Wed 18-Nov-15 13:55:17

OH has offered to get me a couple of yoga DVDs for Christmas, and I'd also like a book of yoga just out of interest.

I used to go to classes a while ago but because of shifts, couldn't always make it and wasn't getting my money's worth in the end. Getting back into it and practising at home now. I want something that starts off basic but can develop into more challenging/advancing poses and practices.

Any yoga DVD and book recommendations?

CoteDAzur Wed 18-Nov-15 20:18:59

I would be very interested in hearing about books, too.

DVDs, not so much. YouTube has so much variety smile

VelvetGreen Wed 18-Nov-15 20:19:05

Do you have particular type of yoga that you like?

Bookwise my favourite is Erich Schiffman's Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness. I've also recently read The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T. K. V. Desikachar, and would definetly recommend having a look at that.

I base my home practice around this dvd - there are 4 discs of vinyasa flow sequences of varying difficulty. It's a bit dated and no frills and assumes some basic knowledge. but i've used it hundreds of times and haven't got bored yet. The 'earth' dvd is fairly tame, building to 'fire' which is a lot more challenging.

CoteDAzur Wed 18-Nov-15 20:22:51

That book looks interesting but... £8.49? shock

I read a lot & almost exclusively on the Kindle. That is a surprisingly high price.

CoteDAzur Wed 18-Nov-15 20:24:26

Sorry, that comment was about the Kindle version of the first book. The second one is £10.44 on the Kindle! Do they contain the secret of the universe? grin

Highlandbird Wed 18-Nov-15 20:32:52

I would recommend the Tara Lee elements DVD, that's what I use and I really like her style and find her easy to follow. I used her pregnancy yoga DVD in the past as well.

ImperialBlether Wed 18-Nov-15 20:49:42

Thanks for these recommendations - I've just come into this section to ask you to recommend books and DVDs, so that's some of my daughter's Christmas presents sorted!

Now does anyone know where you can get good, cheap yoga clothing?

Thanks.

CoteDAzur Fri 20-Nov-15 19:56:36

I'd love to hear about good & cheap yoga clothing, too. My love for Lululemon is getting a bit expensive.

RubberDuck Fri 20-Nov-15 22:04:51

Velvet: Oooo Erich Schiffman is an instructor on YogaAnytime. I haven't tried one of his classes yet, but I'll put that on my to do list if he's recommended!

chickindude Sun 22-Nov-15 08:20:35

The heart of yoga is an amazing book. Gives some of the history of yoga, pranayama and meditation techniques. Also gives ideas on building your own simple practice. A vinyasa ( simple sequence)
This is a book I recommend to my students.

CoteDAzur Sun 22-Nov-15 21:15:10

The Heart Of Yoga looks great. Thank you for the recommendation smile

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Nov-15 19:15:42

I love this book. I picked up a copy of an older version in a charity shop about six months ago, and I keep going back to it. It's got great pictures and quite in-depth explanations of the asanas. It's also got lots of suggested variations for people living with various health problems.

yogiannie Mon 23-Nov-15 20:27:37

awakening the spine by vanda scarvelli

moving into stillness by eric schiffman

heart of yoga by desikachar

Commentaries and translations of Patanjali's Yoga Sutra and the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads

CoteDAzur Mon 23-Nov-15 20:39:37

Emmanuelle - Thanks for that recommendation. Suggested variations for people with various injuries also sounds useful.

"Holistic Health" in the title worries me a little, though. Does the book go into pseudoscience and quackery stuff like acupuncture, homeopathy, etc?

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Nov-15 21:09:36

CoteDAzur

Emmanuelle - Thanks for that recommendation. Suggested variations for people with various injuries also sounds useful.

"Holistic Health" in the title worries me a little, though. Does the book go into pseudoscience and quackery stuff like acupuncture, homeopathy, etc?

No don't worry, it's all fairly down to earth smile.

ZaraW Fri 27-Nov-15 15:12:44

Tara Stiles DVD set is my favourite. One DVD covers all the poses in yoga its a great reference. She has easier routines and then more difficult ones. I like to alternate. I also have the book Strong, Lean, Sexy Yoga and she has another book coming out next year. I like her approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now