Talk

Advanced search

I seem to be getting worse!

(8 Posts)
cece Sun 15-Nov-15 23:48:09

I started yoga in July and now doing 3 classes per week plus youtube yoga on other days.

However, instead of improving, I feel like I am getting worse.

For instance this week I have been to 3 classes with 3 different teachers. Each one of them moved me during poses in order to improve my position (I guess). This didn't happen when I started. I also feel wobbly in some positions that I thought I could do before!

Any idea what is going on?

CoteDAzur Mon 16-Nov-15 09:44:04

I'm sure you are not getting worse! Maybe it is a question of different styles of different teachers - what one looks for in a pose might not be what the other considers important.

Maybe stick with one teacher for a few weeks and see how it goes?

VelvetGreen Mon 16-Nov-15 11:03:46

I think sometimes positions like warrior or triangle can seem fairly easy and straightforward when you're new to yoga. As you practice you learn the fine tuning and more precise alignment, which can be much harder to get right. Could it be that do you think?

ifyoulikepinacolada Mon 16-Nov-15 13:27:44

I teach yoga for a living.

I never adjust students if they seem very new - they tend to find it offputting! But once they seem to have a good grasp of the basics of the pose, i'll start to move them to help find deeper/more appropriate alignment. You're probably at that stage now!

Often i'll teach poses with a specific aim in mind and so i'll adjust students so they feel it more where i want them to - it's a pose you know and i want it to feel different!

Feeling wobbly is more to do with your mood, concentration, energy levels, what you've eaten, and where in the sequence the pose it taught than you being 'good' or 'bad' so don't worry about that!

cece Mon 16-Nov-15 17:05:42

I think you are right. I am hoping it is because I am now more aware of what I am doing and fine tuning the poses a bit more.

I asked today's teacher and she said it was probably because I have felt comfortable recently and now I am trying to get deeper/fine tune the pose a bit more. I hope so!

It's quite hard to stick to one teacher throughout the week as I go to hot yoga and there are different teachers on different days and also depending on what time of day I go!

onemouseplace Tue 17-Nov-15 12:13:04

One of my teachers never adjusts in the beginners' class - even for more experienced people - unless someone is doing something very wrong, and then it will be more a verbal rather than a physical adjustment.

The other two teachers I have regularly do adjust the more experienced people, and it is generally regulars whose capabilities they know or people who are obviously more experienced. I took starting to be adjusted more as a compliment!

CoteDAzur Wed 18-Nov-15 09:26:02

Interesting, pinacolada & onemouse. I didn't realise that teachers adjust only the more experienced people whose capabilities they know, but it's obvious now that you say it.

cece Wed 18-Nov-15 22:04:42

OK I see what you mean now. Went to a class on Monday and the teacher adjusted a few of the people who are rather good. I think she was trying to get them to move deeper into their pose.

Thanks. I will view it in a more positive way now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now