Talk

Advanced search

"Swing" Yoga?

(13 Posts)
CoteDAzur Sun 08-Nov-15 10:43:25

... with what look like harnesses hanging from the wall or ceiling? A local studio is offering this and it looks odd but strangely like something I might want to do smile

MargoReadbetter Sun 08-Nov-15 19:19:33

What? Never heard of it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 08-Nov-15 19:21:40

It looks really fun but insanely difficult. Pretty sure it was one of the winning teams "treats" on Apprentice this year?

CoteDAzur Sun 08-Nov-15 19:32:02

It does look a bit nuts grin

badhairallthetime Sun 08-Nov-15 22:07:08

I've tried it once a couple months ago and thought it was great fun, very exhilarating but also challenging in different ways. There was an inversion where you are completely supported by the hammock, so you let go, take hands off floor and reposition and just hang Like this . But I just couldn't let go...instincts were saying too dangerous but brain was saying, it's OK, you are safe! Finally found the courage to lift and reposition my hands and it felt great! Just to hang and also felt a massive release of pressure in my lower back where I carry a lot of tension. Can't remember it all totally but there where kind of 'swingy' moves where you go back and forwards, plus modified versions of traditional poses. Then at the end, for savasana, we kind of climbed into the hammock and completely cocooned ourselves in the fabric and just gently swung...it was lovely.

Try it! I did mine at a Virgin active gym on a friends guest pass and instructor was very good.

CoteDAzur Sun 08-Nov-15 22:37:09

Sounds wonderful. It reminds me of Angelina Jolie's aerial ballet in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.

yogiannie Mon 09-Nov-15 17:57:11

I think Iyengar offers a type of 'swing/rope' yoga variation? have never tried it - I am too traditional!!!

ChipsandGuac Fri 13-Nov-15 04:50:07

This is anti gravity yoga. I do it a couple of times a week and absolutely love it for the fun value. I'm not convinced it does THAT much for your body though. I don't really care as I leave it's the BIGGEST smile on my face and you feel really tall!

ChipsandGuac Fri 13-Nov-15 04:50:44

With not it's!

CoteDAzur Fri 13-Nov-15 09:26:37

Oh I'm sure it would be great fun! I can't help but think that yoga is about supporting & moving with your body's weight against gravity, but that's just the masochist in me smile

CoteDAzur Sun 29-Nov-15 18:28:42

Well, I tried "swing yoga" today and have to say that I wasn't a fan. It all seemed a bit pointless and my shoulders hurt from bearing the bulk of my weight quite often, as I was holding on to the swing and leaning forward. So it felt a bit like not doing a proper practice AND hurting all the same.

badhairallthetime Mon 30-Nov-15 09:16:42

coteDAzur That's a shame that you didn't enjoy it. But at least you've tried it now and satisified your curiosity smile

CoteDAzur Mon 30-Nov-15 12:33:57

Yeah, at least I tried it. And now the studio have pictures of me dangling from the ceiling like a tied-up baby buffalo, for blackmailing purposes in case I go into politics in the future blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now