Talk

Advanced search

Wristpain - will it get better?

(7 Posts)
justkeeponsmiling Sun 25-Oct-15 16:15:40

Just that really! I've started doing yoga every day, working my way through 30 days of yoga. I used to do it years ago without problems, but I'm definitely pushing myself a bit more this time.
Tried to do an extended side stretch / side plank thing today and had to give up after a couple of seconds because my wrists were in agony! I've had this problem a few times recently but never had to just abandon a pose because of the pain.
Will my wrists get stronger with practice? Please tell me they will!

CoteDAzur Sun 25-Oct-15 18:53:18

There is no need to do a pose that is painful for you. Practice side planks on your elbows which will give you exactly the same benefits without hurting your wrists.

As for any joint pain:
- Rest
- Elevate
- Ice

Do this for a week and then consider seeing a doctor for treatment if the pain doesn't go away. There are things that can be done for painful joints but you need to be diagnosed first.

yogiannie Sun 25-Oct-15 19:37:55

hi there

i would say to try a few hand circles / rotations to help loosen the wrists, then try fingers up to sky/ down to earth several times.

you could also take a moment in down dog then rest in child and repeat several times to help build up some strength,

these articles below also talk about developing wrist strength and ensuring correct alignment of shoulders in poses such as down dog so as not to create wrist pain. do hope that helps.

breakingmuscle.com/yoga/3-wrist-strengthening-exercises-to-prevent-yoga-injuries

www.yogajournal.com/slideshow/anatomy-101-protect-wrists-yoga/

justkeeponsmiling Mon 26-Oct-15 08:48:38

Thank you both!
cote just to clarify, I don't have persistent wrist pain, they only hurt during certain poses. I wasn't sure i there was a way to strengthen my wrists over time or if I had to just abandon those poses alltogether.
Thank you for the modification suggestion, I will try that until my wrists are stronger.
And thanks yogi , very helpful links and tips smile

CoteDAzur Mon 26-Oct-15 09:39:33

That's good to hear OP.

yogiannie - Great links, thank you smile

ShamefulPlaceMarker Tue 03-Nov-15 06:19:29

I get this too sad It's really annoying! I think it is just a strengthening issue rather than an underlying wrist problem.
Thanks for posting the links wink

WaitrosePigeon Tue 03-Nov-15 20:33:49

Are you making sure your fingers are spread widely? Especially in down dog?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: