Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a yoga dvd?

(7 Posts)
Jumpingovaries1 Tue 04-Aug-15 05:46:37

Hi

I've never tried yoga before but would love to give it a go.
I've got just under 4 stone to lose so doing lots of cardio and weight training but would love to do a dvd at night to focus on flexibility and calming.
Thanks

Daffodil1210 Tue 04-Aug-15 06:14:38

I'm not too sure about a DVD but I use a great YouTube channel called Yoga with Adriene. Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question but thought I'd put it out there just in case this is an option for you smile

drinkscabinet Tue 04-Aug-15 10:27:24

I like Adriene but I think if you hadn't done any yoga you might find some of the videos a bit fast (same is true for 'do yoga with me' which is also recommended on here). I've not done her 'yoga for complete beginners' video though and would think that would be the best place for you to begin. Youtube is definitely better than a DVD because youtube has masses of (free) content to try out so if you don't like a teacher it's not the end of the world.

TBH I'd try and go to a drop in class and see if it's for you. With a RL teacher you get a more interactive experience and they can correct your postures and spend longer describing what you need to do. I also find the meditation at the end of a class more immersive than on a youtube video.

maybemyrtle Tue 04-Aug-15 19:05:29

Completely agree that going to a class is the best way in to yoga.

However for home practice once you're started, this is hardcore but you can work to your own level. I used the VHS of this and then the DVD for years when I couldn't get to classes, really good instruction and you will sweat. Best to keep an eye on ebay and pick up a copy for less than the amazon price though (eg there's one for £3.28 listed just now).

Jumpingovaries1 Wed 05-Aug-15 09:57:04

Thank you everyone I can't get to a class in the evening but will give you tube a try

VelvetGreen Wed 05-Aug-15 10:54:51

I agree that a class is the way to go, but if that's not an option for you then this dvd isn't a bad place to start. I got a copy for my mum as she was keen to start yoga but couldn't get to a class is too competitive to go to a class as a complete beginner. She has got on really well with it and hasn't done herself an injury yet but still doesn't get the non-competitive ethos of yoga.

CoteDAzur Wed 05-Aug-15 11:26:21

Definitely start with a class. If your expectation of yoga is limited to flexibility & calming, you will be surprised to see the weight loss, as well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now