Talk

Advanced search

Yoga for the totally inflexible!

(5 Posts)
louise2011 Thu 30-Jul-15 18:00:01

Is it possible to do yoga if you are very 'unbendy'?
I have never been able to touch my toes EVER even as a child- by back just doesn't bend! My posture is awful & I frequently get bad back from my job which requires a lot of stretching & bending, I used to run but in the last 2 years have frequent injuries which take months to clear.
Could yoga help me? I really want to keep fit & have such a stressful life I think it would be get for destressing. Honestly though when my body is so rigid & my core so weak would I be able to do any of it?
I did a short course 20years ago which was full of 60/70 years olds- they put me to shame. I just want to strengthen my body!!

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Jul-15 18:03:38

Yes. Yes. And yes some more!
What about Iyengar yoga? You use props to help you achieve a better pose.

tomatoplantproject Thu 30-Jul-15 21:18:44

Yes!

You stretch to your limit. Bendy people do very bendy stretches and the rest of us mere mortals do what we can. Very slowly you become ever so slightly more flexible. Your core will strengthen too.

CoteDAzur Thu 30-Jul-15 21:31:12

"When my body is so rigid & my core so weak would I be able to do any of it?"

Yes! And through yoga practice, you will become flexible and strong.

I used to do a lot of running and ended up with so many injuries that I ended up admitting defeat. Started yoga instead and now am slimmer & stronger than I was when I ran regularly smile

louise2011 Thu 30-Jul-15 22:27:35

Thanks for the replies! Would love to give it a try. Hope I am brave enough to try a local class. Will sit at the back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now