Talk

Advanced search

Arm balances mess up my zen: support group

(15 Posts)
TheRealMaryMillington Sat 18-Jul-15 08:31:10

Can't do them

Can't even chaturanga properly and I suspect it's part of the same problem

I do not think I am alone with my grazed chin.

Following the massive success of the lovely poster on the other thread talking us through what she actually did to get her leg forward to hands from plank (*nice one and thankyou*) how about a bit of that and some hints and tips on crow and other arm balances?

Namaste

CoteDAzur Sat 18-Jul-15 20:42:03

I'd love to have some tips about arm balances.

Dodgy wrist means I might never be able to do crow, but there might be this out there to get me through side plank without crying.

TheRealMaryMillington Sun 19-Jul-15 17:01:17

My ashtanga teacher keeps saying everyone can give this a go about crow. Apparently if you can hold downdog for 5 breaths with the right alignment then you should have the upper bodystrength. But I often only get one foot off the floor and then chicken out.

I have bought a block (eagerly awaited in the post) which I hope will help me to get the position better first and then work on balance.

In other new though I managed to hold a headstand for 25 breaths relatively wobble free today. For the first time in like 30 years.

CoteDAzur Sun 19-Jul-15 17:24:02

Isn't it a great feeling to be able to stay in headstand? smile

How is the block to help with crow? I have a block but never thought to use it for that pose.

TheRealMaryMillington Sun 19-Jul-15 17:44:56

I know it's amazing. I didn't think I ever would manage it again. It's deffo all in the squeezing.

Apparently if you stand on your block first it helps to get the alignment right in your shoulders, and also you haven't so far to lift your feet so not so much momentum needed.

HellonHeels Mon 20-Jul-15 23:54:09

Thanks for this post! I struggle with arm balances,the only one I can manage at all is crow.

I had a new instructor teach it on Saturday. she encouraged developing a strong outward pressure from the thighs/knees onto the upper arms and an equally strong pressure from arms to knees/thighs. I hadn't had it taught like that before and found it helpful.

CoteDAzur Tue 21-Jul-15 13:47:19

Crow is the hardest arm balance pose I have ever tried (and failed). I think it's great that you can do it!

HellonHeels Tue 21-Jul-15 16:11:29

Are you still on hols Cote?

How's the yoga practice going?

maybemyrtle Tue 21-Jul-15 19:25:58

I'm up and down with crow (no pun intended) - some days it feels ridiculously easy, others (like yesterday) I just can't make it at all. The only thing that I can pinpoint that actually helps is to my fix my gaze on the floor about 1-2 metres ahead of me. Do not look down - as soon as I do, if I'm there, I lose it.

The block tip is interesting, thanks!

TheRealMaryMillington Tue 21-Jul-15 20:53:52

Had a quick go with the block today, and simultaneously squeezing pelvic floor and arms in/legs out as suggested above

and I managed about 2 seconds - for me that is progress

From the block it was much easier to just lift my toes and tip forward into the balance than actively lift/spring feet up with destabilising momentum.

I think I just need to be braver too

sleepwhenidie Tue 21-Jul-15 21:00:17

I think with side crow it's much easier if you think of moving forwards, more than about tilting, which comes naturally after you move forwards!

Cote do you do side plank on your elbow rather than hand on your dodgy wrist side? I injured my wrist recently and did that, it's still quite hard work and instructor was fine with it.

TheRealMaryMillington Tue 21-Jul-15 21:14:51

anyone tried baby crow?

CoteDAzur Tue 21-Jul-15 21:37:25

Yes, I'm still on holiday and loving it, but it ain't no yoga retreat. I found a studio & went to their "Advanced Vinyasa" class. It wasn't very Vinyasa, there wasn't much flow, nor any balance poses, and it wasn't advanced, either. Teacher didn't mention a single pose by name - it was all about "Hips up, breathe in. Legs to the side, breathe out. Chest up, breathe in" etc. Very odd grin

CoteDAzur Wed 22-Jul-15 16:17:27

sleep - Yes, I do have that option of doing side plank on my elbow on the dodgy side, but that doesn't flow at all in my upbeat vinyasa flow class. I do it when I can, and sometimes I bite the bullet and go for the side plank on my wrist (ouch).

sleepwhenidie Wed 22-Jul-15 17:40:34

hmm, I know what you mean, a bit clunky. Be careful with it though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now