Talk

Advanced search

Heartbroken for that poor England player who scored an own goal

(7 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 09:25:31

England were the stronger side. So impressed by the team. Japan should feel very lucky to have won that.

StrawberryMojito Thu 02-Jul-15 09:31:02

She must be gutted but her manager and team mates have said some lovely and supportive things about her.

nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 09:36:39

Yes I heard that, but poor thing, it's so unlucky when they played so well. I hope she has a good game against Germany.

I hope we can get behind the team in this country and support them more. We've loved following it in this house.

LurcioAgain Thu 02-Jul-15 09:38:42

So sad. Every defender's nightmare ball - coming in over your shoulder, forward will have a clear shot on goal if you don't clear it. Bassett had no choice but to play it, at full stretch on her weaker foot. And she's been such a brilliantly solid player throughout. (Feeling very sleepy this morning!)

I suspect USA will be feeling pleased with the result.

nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 09:44:23

I couldn't tell from the replay, would it have gone in any way if she hadn't touched it?

LurcioAgain Thu 02-Jul-15 10:21:42

No, sorry I wasn't clear. The position the players were in meant that the Japanese player would have had a clear shot on goal without any defenders in the way if the ball had come through to her - so an absolute sitter. Of course she might not have scored - but chances were she would have done. Pretty much any centre half in those circumstances would have done what Bassett did - tried to clear it up and over the goal mouth.

nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 10:43:43

i wish her so well, poor thing, it's such a massive responsibility to bear when really it is a team sport and they have all done a fabulous job over there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: