Talk

Advanced search

Care Home job - working Christmas to New Year’s Day

(36 Posts)
rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 21:08:44

Hi all

I’m new to this website and I’ve found a lot of people give excellent advice.

I work in a care home and today I’ve just seen my rota for the Christmas and New Year’s Day rota. Our company policy states that we can either work Christmas Day Boxing Day and Christmas Eve, or New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. To my shock horror looking at my rota, the manager has put down for me to work every single one of these days and no one else has to.

I didn’t get chance to speak to my managers about this as they had left the building by the time I saw the rota. Should I right a letter to say I will not be doing every single one of those hours and threaten to get the union involved or should I wait until I’m back at work next week?

Thanks for all your help and advice xx

OP’s posts: |
AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 27-Nov-18 21:13:16

How long have you worked at the care home?

ILovePierceBrosnan Tue 27-Nov-18 21:13:23

I wouldn’t rush in threatening the union.
You need to start with the way you’d like to be dealt with and then escalate if you’ve tried that and got nowhere

1. Talk! It might be a mistake or they might not realise you would be so upset (no idea why but still ask them and point out it’s unfair)
2. Letter and refer to wherever you have read or heard that you don’t need to cover all and unfairness compared to colleagues
3. Union

Carers are the most unrecognised people in employment I think so I’d like to know you are appreciated (family member in care) flowers

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 21:22:00

Thank you so much for your advice! It touched my heart that you left a kind message it’s nice to feel appreciated (don’t feel it very often) 💕

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 21:48:38

Ive worked at the care home 6 months now

TulipsInbloom1 Tue 27-Nov-18 21:50:53

Our company policy states

If it is infact in writing in a policy then I would just approach the manager with a light "Hi, not sure if its an error but im down to work both Christmas and New Year. Just, I know the policy says X, so not sure if its a typo? Could you double check it for me?"

PorpentinaScamander Tue 27-Nov-18 21:52:33

Definitely speak to your manager. But calmly and politely.
I also work in a care home. Those of us who spoke nicely to our manager because we were unhappy
with our Christmas hours had theirs relooked and and changed where possible. Those who went in all guns blazing, threatening to quit/involve the union etc have been told "tough"

Care work is a relentless thankless task isn't it!

Grace212 Tue 27-Nov-18 21:52:33

IT might be a mistake
Agree with approaches suggested, but don't wait till you are next in, contact as soon as you can.

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 21:55:34

Thanks for your advice! I guess when I wrote this thread I was more annoyed. I agree it would be a daft thing to threaten the union straight away as it might have genuinely been a mistake. Do people think I should a letter as my next shift is Monday when the manager will be next in?

Justmuddlingalong Tue 27-Nov-18 21:56:36

If you've only been there 6 months, I dont think it's a mistake. Care home staff politics at play methinks. sad

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 21:58:08

They like to take advantage of new staff that’s for certain

LizzieBennettDarcy Tue 27-Nov-18 22:01:05

That's massively unfair. When I worked in care, we all worked as usual on Christmas Eve then you either worked Christmas Day or Boxing day, and had a choice for NYE or NYD.

I'd raise it with your Manager and quickly. And point out that no one else is doing the same. That's shitty of them.

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:02:34

Just realised I wrote ‘right’ instead of ‘write’ my bad everyone grin

Grace212 Tue 27-Nov-18 22:03:36

Can you contact manager by phone or email before Monday? I would do this ASAP.

Pisstakers are gonna pisstake I'm afraid, they need to be stopped fast.

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:05:24

Absolutely! Part of me thinks it was a mistake and part of me thinks it was done on purpose. I’m one of the friendly set off staff that doesn’t really ever cause conflicts. I feel like they may have taken advantage of me a bit. hmm

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:07:17

I’m thinking of sending a letter as they have a thing about discussing problems over the phone. I don’t particularly want to waste bus fair money just to complain about this rota

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:08:47

Anyone got any advice how to structure this letter? I know I’m asking a lot but I’ve never written a letter to a manager before with a complaint? Thanks again xx

Justmuddlingalong Tue 27-Nov-18 22:08:51

I would go in, even on your day off to see the manager. If you leave it til Monday, chances are it'll be, "but everyone's shifts are decided, everyone's made plans, nobody can cover it." You are not asking for anyone to cover your shifts, you are expecting fairness. Don't let the manager guilt trip you. He/she is on good money to deal with these issues. I wish you luck, it's not an easy job or a great work environment in many care homes.

eggncress Tue 27-Nov-18 22:11:09

Sounds a bit like a care home I worked in. I left because the managers were passive aggressive.
Maybe it’s the same place hmm

Hopefully this is an oversight though, OP.

Speak to them first when you go back to work or you could phone them.

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:13:26

We were asked to contribute 22 hours throughout the holiday period. And some people are only contributing to 12 hours what a joke shock

eggncress Tue 27-Nov-18 22:13:50

On second thoughts, deal with it before you go back as pp said , they will assume you’re ok about it if you delay.

squirrelnut Tue 27-Nov-18 22:14:44

Care home manager here....

Christmas Eve is just a normal day but I wouldn’t expect any of my staff to work Christmas Day and Boxing Day or Christmas and New Year. Carers have families too. We employ lots of part time staff so we are able to split things fairly.
We also ask for volunteers as there are some staff who don’t mind working a long day on Christmas Day eg. This year I have one who is divorced and kids are with mum until 30/12.

Talk to your manager ASAP and point out it’s unfair.

Rota planning is a bloody nightmare and you can never please everyone but you do need to be fair.

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:16:06

Yeah I think you guys are right I guess I can spare £4.20 just to get this sorted out. I feel like they might ignore a letter if I send one out.

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:18:10

Thank you! I’m glad to be hearing this from a care home manager. I even spoke to the manager about asking for Christmas Day off or at least an 8-2 so I can spend one last Christmas with a relative I might not have long left with.

rizzlmynizzle Tue 27-Nov-18 22:18:59

I also noticed one of the managers personal friends outside work got the hours they wanted. Definitely not unbiased with the rota planning.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in