Talk

Advanced search

Help with interviews?!

(8 Posts)
Savvylover211 Wed 29-Aug-18 19:39:53

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone could help me. I've got 2 interviews coming up in the next couple of weeks. I've only ever interviewed for 2 jobs, neither of which I prepared for very much and I ended up getting both jobs either on the day of or the day after the interview. Both places I feel were in urgent need of filling the position so while I do think I interview well enough due to my personality I think I'd like to be a bit more prepared for these.

I know there is a correct way of asking what the salary is for a job if it isn't advertised but I really don't know how to go about it without coming across as rude or a bit grabby IYSWIM.

I'd also like some help with the best way to ask what the routes of possible progression would be, and just some general interview tips that you guys feel are important to know.

I'm really struggling mentally at my current job as it's quite a toxic environment right now and I really just want to do well at these interviews.

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
Savvylover211 Wed 29-Aug-18 22:40:41

Anyone?

MikeUniformMike Wed 29-Aug-18 22:48:04

I don't ask what the salary is or about the potential career progression, but it is fairly likely they will ask you about where you see yourself in 3 or 5 years' time. There are lots of sites giving interview advice. If they ask you what salary you would like, ask them what range they had in mind. Don't slag off your current employer.
The best thing you can do is prepare by researching the company. Look them up on Linked In too, especially if you know the name of who's interviewing you. Have examples of where you have excelled at your job etc.
If they are going to interview you, they probably want to employ you, so go there and shine.
Good luck!

FrangipaniBlue Thu 30-Aug-18 09:31:08

Research the company, but only drop in your knowledge of its relevant to a question they ask or if they directly ask "what do you know about us" - there's nothing more annoying as an interviewer than the interviewee reciting the website homepage!

Research the job role and understand what skills are needed to do that role. Then have in your head how your skills match that as the questions will be most likely skill based. For me this is the most important part and will be the main part of your interview.

Try to use the STAR technique when answering a question. Situation you were in, Task required, Action you took and the Result.

If they ask you "what are your strengths and weaknesses" (urgh I hate this!) then when answering the weakness part explain what you've done to overcome the weakness and how you've managed to turn it into a positive.

It's ok to ask about career progression if you do it in the right way, so if they ask you if you have any questions you could ask them to tell you a bit more about the role in terms of where it sits in the organisation, who you would report to, is it a new role..... this can then lead into a conversation about progression without it seeming like that's what you were focusing on.

Do not ask about the salary or any employment benefits in the interview. That's a conversation to have/negotiate if and when you are offered the job grin

Savvylover211 Thu 30-Aug-18 10:45:37

FrangipaniBue so if offered a job I should just take it without knowing the salary? It's not likely that it will be a step down in wages but what if it is? I think that's something anyone would like to know before accepting a job offer no? I know some people see it as taboo but would you really want to blindly take a job without knowing if you are going to take a loss?

CaptSkippy Thu 30-Aug-18 12:09:43

Research the company and jot down the points you like about it. This will help you go into the interview with a positive attitude, even if you don't end up getting/taking a job there.

CaptSkippy Thu 30-Aug-18 12:10:55

Posted before I saw your reply and the answer is definitely not. Say you are interested, but don't commit untill you know what they are going to pay you and be prepared to negotiate.

FrangipaniBlue Thu 30-Aug-18 17:49:48

so if offered a job I should just take it without knowing the salary?

God no don't accept a job without knowing the salary, just don't ask in the interview!

They should tell you salary when they make the offer, which would usually be at a later date following your interview, its then up to you to either accept, negotiate or turn it down smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in