Talk

Advanced search

What to wear - interview

(9 Posts)
bestican Fri 22-Jun-18 17:02:40

Hello I have an interview next week and it's the first I've had one in over ten years smile thing is I have no clue what to wear (the lady said it will be informal) and don't know what to expect either, do I need to do anything to prepare beforehand ? It's an office job.
Thanks for any advice smile

OP’s posts: |
Atalune Fri 22-Jun-18 17:04:20

Plain dress, nude tights, simple court shoes.

Groomed hair and understated makeup.

Good luck!!!

ButFirstTea Fri 22-Jun-18 17:05:53

Depends on the role but I would always go for smart office wear. Dress and jacket or shirt with skirt/trousers. If you know the company are very informal you could probably wear black jeans and a shirt but it's better to be overdressed for an interview.

Namechange128 Fri 22-Jun-18 17:10:27

Congratulations!!

What clothes do you have? In my experience it's always better to go more formal than too casual and feel awkward if you're underdressed Vs your interviewer.

You don't need a suit jacket but in this weather I'd go for pencil skirt / structured trousers with a tailored type top (shirt, shell top etc) with heels or nice flats (not trainers or sandals). It's good to look groomed with nice jewelllery, hair and some makeup but keep it low key and unobtrusive, and styles that you're used to doing so you don't have disasters on the day. Simple classic bag. Probably stockings unless it's definitely a v casual environment, and bring a spare in your bag in case of ladders.
Generally better for you to stand out Vs your clothes - unless it's in fashion or marketing and it's more important to look edgy or fashionable (in which case ignore all the above and go funky!)

Namechange128 Fri 22-Jun-18 17:12:16

If you haven't done an interview for a while it can be a good idea to read up on 'behavioural interview questions', which are much more popular now. Also make sure you have an idea about the company, what it does, where it is - and why you would be a great addition.
They picked your CV because they already like the sound of you, you'll be great smile

bestican Thu 28-Jun-18 18:23:56

Thanks for all your good luck wishes and advice smileI went for smart and understated. I'm so annoyed with myself though for being understated about my skills and experience. I've learned I'm no good at selling myself which is extremely annoying.
It's a job I would absolutely love but I don't think I gave it enough "oomph". Anyhow I'll wait and see with everything crossed.

Atalune Thu 28-Jun-18 18:56:02

I think that it is ALWAYS worth phoning the company and speaking to your interviewer if at all possible on the pretence off saying “thank you” to just hammer home a couple more relevant points-

“Thank you so much for the opportunity to interview yesterday, I know with my 6 years and advanced experience in excel I’ll be a great addition to the office. Thanks again! “

If you can’t face phoning, send them a quick email and pop in some little bits in there about how perfect you are!

Let us know how you get on!

bestican Fri 29-Jun-18 18:50:05

Thanks, I had thought about emailing to say thank you for the interview and then selling myself a bit (lot) more but didn't want to look desperate or like I was trying to influence their decision.

bestican Sun 19-Aug-18 21:47:30

Ooh forgot to update here, thanks for all your help and advice - I got the job 😀😀😀 and start tomorrow!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in