Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Crazy to think of joining the Police?

(2 Posts)
lostheloveofmylife Fri 20-Oct-17 03:34:18

I’m thinking of applying to join the Police force - is this crazy?
I’m 45 and have never done anything similar. I am just so sure that I don’t want to spend the rest of my working life in front of a computer.

theancientmarinader Fri 20-Oct-17 03:55:17

I see a lot of issues at the moment with the increase of single crewing etc. I suppose it depends on what is happening with the rest of your life (kids, partner etc) and how flexible you can be in terms of disappearing for training, then ultimately shift work etc. Possibility of moving?

I'm 46 and spent 16 years in the military, so I'm not concerned about fitness standards etc, but equally I think I would find it extremely hard to start right at the bottom again, with all of the issues that would involve. Particularly as a woman. Unless you are ultra-fit and obviously able to beat the living day lights out of the 18yos, there would be a tendency to cast you in an 'old lady/ mom' bracket. I'd take that as a personal affront, but I'd only chance the comparison if I was absolutely sure it wasn't the case lol. Having worked in uniformed masculine environments where I proved I was an equal, it would be exhausting to have to do it again with people the age of my kids. Indeed, possibly my actual kids.

At the same time though, don't waste your life doing something you are unhappy with. That way madness lies. Is there a way you can check out a more adventurous role in a voluntary or pt capacity first? Reserve services?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now