Talk

Advanced search

Annoyed at constant perception of working mum

(4 Posts)
Poppyrose2 Tue 05-Sep-17 14:18:55

I've got 4 kids and gave up work after having the last child for 4 years. Dauntingly, I started working again at 39, in a different career, at the bottom of the ladder. 6 years on I am now the manager with a team of almost 30, in a job I love. I've worked hard, and had a great boss who gave me a lot of opportunities whilst still allowing me to do most of the school runs. As the kids have got older, I squeeze a fulltime job basically into 3 or 4 days. I am proud of being able to juggle this so far, and that I've been fortunate to be able to take up the opportunities that have come my way at my age. What upsets me is how it's perceived and belittled. My own mum called it 'a nice little job to fit around the kids', an old friend I bumped into said 'part-time? Are you work-shy?' And then today I got 'retail must be perfect for housewives wanting to fill a few hours' and 'surely people would be wasting their time getting a degree to do your job'
I guess I'm just sounding off today as I'm shocked, but im pretty stunned that these kinds of attitude towards working mothers still exist. Why do I feel I have to constantly prove my worth?

Lavenderfly Wed 13-Sep-17 20:22:43

I think it's the social perception and the fact that the majority of the home care role falls on the woman's shoulders.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed at the amount I do both at work and at home, and it is frustrating that it's considered of less importance than a man's contributions to the family.

The best you can do is put people right in a nice way I suppose, and carry on so that your children go into the workforce with an understanding of your experience, hoping that it makes a difference to the next generation.

Well done for your achievements! It's hard but your back story gives me hope!

lostheloveofmylife Fri 20-Oct-17 03:32:59

I’m thinking of applying to join the Police force - is this crazy?
I’m 45 and have never done anything similar. I am just so sure that I don’t want to spend the rest of my working life in front of a computer.

lostheloveofmylife Fri 20-Oct-17 03:34:57

Sorry! Just ignore me- I meant to start a new thread and posted on this one instead

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: