Talk

Advanced search

My mat cover - should I be included on the interview panel?

(6 Posts)
Asia88 Mon 10-Oct-16 12:10:01

Your thoughts much appreciated.

jellylegs7 Sat 05-Nov-16 10:21:32

I don't see why not. I think maternity cover contracts to an extent are about seamless handling and consistency. That said you are best placed to understand the fit of person required to work with your team and manage your day to day stakeholders well. You also need to feel comfortable with the person you are handing over too and also taking the role back from.

SirChenjin Sat 05-Nov-16 10:25:37

We're not allowed to be on an interview panel for a post which is the same band or above as the one we're on - and I've never sat in on an interview for my mat cover, although I would have liked to. Can you influence the questions etc if you not being invited onto the panel?

Teaspoon74 Tue 07-Feb-17 10:48:04

Differs org to org but I've written the JD, IV questions/test etc for my replacement and will lead the IV panel. As much as anything, it's about getting the fit right for the remaining team/org and ensuring the job is still there and not significantly changed when I get back!!

EggsEleven Tue 07-Feb-17 10:51:17

Depends on who normally sits on the interview panel in your organisation. My place wouldn't allow someone to interview if they were the same band/grade as the role being recruited for. Presumably the person will not be a direct report to you so it should be the line manager who the person will be reporting to who should be on the interview panel along with HR if HR get involved in interviews at your workplace.

Grainfail Sat 09-Sep-17 21:22:45

I interviewed both my mat covers, alongside my manager. Partly down to him not knowing all the ins and outs of my job but I think he would have appreciated my input even if he did.
Someone on my team has now announced she is pregnant but I won't be asking her to be in interviews. I can see she will be annoyed but moreso because she likes to feel important rather than because she is needed. I wouldn't trust her to be discreet either but that's another story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now