The legality of one toilet for patient s and staff

(3 Posts)
Shehasadiamondinthesky Mon 14-Jun-21 13:05:27

I work in an outlying clinic in the NHS, there are usually about 6 clinicians in on any one day all of us seeing 8-10 patients that day.
There is ONE toilet for patients and staff that's it.
We have one staff member who is in there for half an hour at a time all day I have no idea what's wrong with him, the men all do massive stinky shits that are so bad it's difficult to go in there and the patients make a terrible mess, leaving poo on the seats, peeing on the floor and I spend much of my time cleaning it up as we have no cleaners until the evening.
I'm sick and tired of it, I had a bad tummy due to too much fruit the other day and by time I managed to get to the loo it was almost too late.
Does anyone know if this set up is even legal because I'm pretty sure it is not.

OP’s posts: |
Forrrestttheout Mon 14-Jun-21 13:15:18

That sounds like a nightmare!
www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/toilets.htm
this would imply that no its not legal and as you often have more than 5 clinicians there should be at least 2 toilets.

Orf1abc Mon 14-Jun-21 13:25:51

It's far from ideal, but the numbers of toilets listed on the HSE link are from the Code of Practice, which is not in itself legally enforceable.

I'd be putting your concern to your manager, you can reference the CoP as an indication of good practice. Also put forward solutions, is there anywhere else a toilet could go, can cleaning be increased?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in